Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What toys do you recommend?

conclay1995

Cavy Slave
I just adopted Dixie on Sunday. She is 2 or 3 years old, so she is calm and mature as well as tame. What toys would you recomment for her? I thought about cat toys, bouncing balls, stuffed animals (wonderful ideas I found on this site). Is there any safety issues I should be aware of before I get her a toy, such as a choking hazard, hazardous material, etc? :confused:

Thank you so much for your help!

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
Basically a good rule of thumb to go by is 'if it is questionable, don't get it'.

Your piggy definitely needs a hidey house. The best toy for your piggy is another piggy!!! That is the biggest boredom buster. Have you seen the large PVC tubes people have for their pigs? Those are good for pigs to run through and sometimes hide in. Make sure it is big enough for her to move freely in and out of.

If you have the money, cozy saks or cups are nice. Piggies love fleece.
Make sure you have enough for her to chew on. A fruit tree is always a good idea or wooden cube like toys. You can find those online almost anywhere.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Card-coard boxes, paper bag(like paper not plastic), jingle balls, mirriors, toliet paper rolls with hay stuffed in them. Just be creative. They also enjoy some snuggling up to stuffed animals and they do if you don't need some sort of hidey house for them to hide if threatened. But I agree another guineapig makes a guineapig so much happier.

conclay1995

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your help. I was trying to find another piggy for adoption in my area, but so far no luck. She does get a lot of cuddle time at night though!!

Last edited:

random09

Cavy Slave
My dad made me out of wood one of those hidey-houses like in the pet stores. She loves it. He made it out of wood with no dyes or chemicals so it would be safe and she is in it almost all the time and chews on it for her teeth. And it cost no money!!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I was trying to find another piggy for adoption in my area, but so far no luck.

Here is a list of different ways to find piggies needing new homes, quoted directly from this site...

'There are no rescues or shelters near me!

You can be sure that where there are pet stores selling guinea pigs, there are guinea pigs in need of new homes.
  • Check PetFinder
  • Check the (broken link removed)
  • Check Craigslist
  • Call your town's animal control department. You can always find out who or where that is by calling your local police station. You never know. Your local shelter may have a ton of guinea pigs that they never advertise. If they SAY they don't take guinea pigs, that means they take them and they put them down right away because they don't think they can get them adopted out or don't have the knowledge, desire or resources to keep them until they can get them adopted out. Tell them you want to adopt one. Get them to put your name on a list to call you next time one or more come in.
  • A dog, cat, or rabbit rescue may have started rescuing guinea pigs on the side.
  • Check your local Freecycle
  • You can also check the classified section of your local paper.
  • Call ALL your local vet offices. Let them know you are looking. They frequently hear of situations, such as accidental pregnancies and people looking to rehome their pets. Most decent vet offices have a bulletin board where people can post their lost pets or pets needing new homes.
  • Check other forum's adoption sections.
  • Put your ad in your local paper saying you are looking to ADOPT some guinea pigs from a non-breeding home.
  • Kids in school? Ask around about classroom pets. Teachers are always messing up with pets. Many try to rehome. Offer to adopt them and give them a good stable home.
There are many ways to get guinea pigs that need a good home without supporting breeders"

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

- Paper Bag Stuffed With Hay or Similar Bedding
- Sock with both ends cut off
- Large, Soft Matirel Tunnel
- Small Hollow Log
- Bag Bed
- Stick To Chew On (Make sure it doesn't have sharp edges, and isn't from a plum tree. I remember reading on here at some point that plum tree sticks are not good for Guniea Pigs, and you should only use apple tree sticks)
- A Piggy Playmate

Another Piggy for your Guinea Pig is a great idea. Your Guinea Pig will have a friend to play with, and hang out with, and its another furry friend for you to love. You may have a tight budget, and think you cannot afford double the cost, but a second piggy isn't double the cost at all. Of course it will cost a little extra for the piggy pellets, and vegetables, but thats all and they aren't very expensive. Many people on here will second this.

As for not being able to find a Guinea Pig avalible for adoption, thats already been answered, and the answers envisionary333 provided are great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.