Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

should we go outside?

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
I would like to take my piggies outside to play in the grass. A couple of threads on the forum mentioned that fleas shouldn't be much of a concern, but we have wild rabbits that travel through our yard. Could this increase the risk of our piggies catching fleas? Also, I had read not to offer forages from areas that are high (automobile) traffic areas due to possible toxins. We live on a major street in our city, and we have a train track that borders our backyard. Would it be dangerous to let them graze the grass in our yard? If so, it doesn't really seem worth taking them outside. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa82

Cavy Slave
Sounds a bit dangerous to me.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Im not sure, I guess it depends on how close the train and cars are.

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
The road is in front of the house and we would be behind the house. The train borders the back yard, but they are used to the sounds of the train (we can hear it inside). I was more concerned with the toxins released by the cars and the trains. I thought about putting a blanket down so that they can be outside but avoid the risk of toxins. Again, I am not sure if it would be worth it if they can't graze. Should I just not risk it and keep them inside?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
hmmm.... It might be okay if you keep them as far away from the street and train tracks as possible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.