Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Drawer for guinea pig cage. Please give advice.

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
You know you have closet and you can pull out the drawer. Mine is 14 1/2" by 29". In height, it is 6 1/2". I was thinking of using that as a cage for my guinea pig, instead of buying a $50 cage.

if my mom says i can have a Guinea pig, i would buy two.

Any advice?

I know it is kind of smaller then usual, but once I get money, or find some space in my house, I will buy a C & C cage.

Since, it's the summer, and I have no school, only work, I can always bring out the guinea pig out of the drawer so they can have space. Other people’s guinea pig cages are smaller. Please give advice.

Snowflake

Cavy Slave
I would recommend waiting until you have enough money. If you're low on money, what are you planning to do when you cavy needs to see a vet? Cavies can be pretty expensive - the cage is not all of the cost. If it's not even enough for that, I'm not sure this is a good thing to do.

And still - the drawer is not really large enough. Only because other people have an even smaller cage it doesn't make your drawer bigger. I'm not too confident with the American measurements, but looking at the chart on the main page, it seems to be quite a LOT smaller.

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
Well, money is not the problem, finding a space in my house is a problem. I thought that cavy only needs to see a vet once a year.. i'm sure i can handle at least spending 200 bucks a year for vet.

Ya, i know, i saw the measurements, and it was a big diffrence. I used a ruler and decided how big 30" x 50". IT was even bigger then my dinner table!

I would recommend waiting until you have enough money. If you're low on money, what are you planning to do when you cavy needs to see a vet? Cavies can be pretty expensive - the cage is not all of the cost. If it's not even enough for that, I'm not sure this is a good thing to do.

And still - the drawer is not really large enough. Only because other people have an even smaller cage it doesn't make your drawer bigger. I'm not too confident with the American measurements, but looking at the chart on the main page, it seems to be quite a LOT smaller.

^dawn^

Cavy Slave
That just simply wouldn't work. The pig would jump out. The sides are only 6 1/2" tall...and it's only a little over 2 square feet of space.

You really should wait until you can afford a nice size cage before getting any guinea pigs. There is a lot of cost involved. Not only the vet (bedding, hay, veggies, pellets, etc.). It all adds up.

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
I understand that it won't work now. I also remebr that piggies do there "popcorn" lolz

Well, i understand the cost adds up and it is costley to a XX year old. :ashamed:

That just simply wouldn't work. The pig would jump out. The sides are only 6 1/2" tall...and it's only a little over 2 square feet of space.

You really should wait until you can afford a nice size cage before getting any guinea pigs. There is a lot of cost involved. Not only the vet (bedding, hay, veggies, pellets, etc.). It all adds up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I just turned XX, I have a job and support my guinea pig.
I think if you can't afford this and it's too 'costly' you just plain shouldn't get a guinea pig at all, sorry but the truth hurts.
:/

Last edited by a moderator:

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
I am older then you, like i say, money is not a problem because I am getting a summer job.

This was a post about giving me advice if I can use a drawer for the cage. Majority, well, all said it was bad due to its small size.

How did this topic go from using a cage to money?

I just turned XX, I have a job and support my guinea pig.
I think if you can't afford this and it's too 'costly' you just plain shouldn't get a guinea pig at all, sorry but the truth hurts.
:/

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
One thing, you guys all care worried about the money. Like I said, I got accepted to a summer job and money is not going to be a problem anymore. The main problem is the space in my house.

I understand that guinea pig supplies add up but I don’t have to worry. If my summer job can’t cover the cost, I can always ask my mom. If my mom lets me have a guinea pig, then I’m sure she will help me, but I won’t rely on her much because those guinea pigs are mines.

but i'm sure my summer job will cover MOST of the fees. Maybe for two years.. (max)

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
This became about money when you said "Well, i understand the cost adds up and it is costley to a XX year old. :ashamed: ". Sorry if I changed the topic and if I upset you. If you have a summer job and can pay for it then that's great. Maybe you can fit the cage somewhere in your room or the living room?

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
Nah, you didn't upset me or anything at all. Just scared of what you guys are thinking. Me thinking: Daisy will be a bad pet owner; I’m going to persuade her to not get a genuine pig due to the cost she can't afford"

This became about money when you said "Well, i understand the cost adds up and it is costley to a XX year old. :ashamed: ". Sorry if I changed the topic and if I upset you. If you have a summer job and can pay for it then that's great. Maybe you can fit the cage somewhere in your room or the living room?

I just did some research. I looked at what needed to be used and needed to be bought constantly. I don't find it a lot, but if you guys want to do me a favor and post your budget, please do! (Don’t warn me if this is something bad to do, I'm sorry, I haven’t read the rules, just ignore it) Or just tell me the vet money per year.

Next question, I see people only fill their cages with shavings. I read someone and they fill with bother shaving and the hay. Can I just add shavings and play the hay to one side of the cage.

I have also read that she clean out wet damps every day, not removing all shavings, only the wet ones. Since she had all the hay over the shavings, she removes all the hay everyday and replaces it. She completely cleans out everything on the 5th day.

Cite: Cage Cleaning

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
No, no one is thinking that.
My guinea pig has been to the vet once and it cost 60 dollars.
(It was only a check up)
It depends on if they get sick.
I spent 20 dollars on a huge thing of coroplast and I used closet racks that I just had and found on the side of the road. (This was behind my moms back so me and my dad had to be sneaky and cheap.) I spend 5 bucks on veggies per week and hay is about 15 dollars and lasts me a month. Pellets last a good two weeks for an average size bag and costs 5 bucks for me.
If you use wood shavings it has to be kiln dried, and yeah you can have the hay in one place like that, it doesn't have to be mixed in. I recomend using fleece as bedding though. It is really cheap and easy. When it needs to be changed you shake it out throw it in the wash and lay down a clean one.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I haven’t read the rules
Maybe you need to take the time to read our rules and policies.

Guinea pigs require time, proper caging, proper diet and they are not cheap to maintain. It's best to get a pair of same sex pigs because they are very social creatures. If you can't get a pair, I honestly don't recommend getting any. Also they should be adopted from a shelter/rescue and not bought from a breeder or petstore.

They can be quite expensive to maintain. There are the initial costs of caging, toys, hidey houses to consider. You don't want to keep them crammed in a small petstore cage. You will need a cage measuring at least 7.5 sq. ft. (2x3 C&C) for 2 sows and 10 sq. ft. (2x4 C&C) for boars. The grids can be found usually at Target for around $15-20 per box and one box will make a 2x3 or 2x4 cage. Then there is coroplast for the cage bottom. Costs of coroplast range from around $10-25 per sheet. A sheet is 4'x8' and will easily make a bottom for the above mentioned cage sizes.

Then there is the cost of hidey houses. You can buy commercially made ones such as pigloos, fiddlesticks, etc. or you can make your own using items from around the house such as cardboard boxes. You can even buy some items from dollar stores or discount stores and make your own. Large salad bowls or large baskets can be modified with doors cut into them.

There are a variety of toys that you can purchase or make for your pigs. Many don't cost anything. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm for ideas.

Then after all that there are other costs to maintain your pigs. There is bedding costs. Using aspen or kiln dried pine shavings is relatively cheap, but if you use other types such as carefresh, the costs will be a bit higher. There is an alternative which is fleece and/or towels.

There is the cost of food. You need a high quality plain pellet such as Oxbow or Kleenmama's. The majority of pellets in petstores and other stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, etc. are garbage and should not be fed. Avoid pellet mixes at all costs.

In addition to a high quality plain pellet, you will need a source of grass hay. If you buy it in bulkk you can save money but you need to be able to store it properly. Types of grass hays are timothy, bluegrass, bermuda, brome, meadow and orchard grass.

Then there are the veggies. You need to offer a large variety of veggies to ensure your pigs get the proper amount of vitamin C. You need to feed at the minimum, 1 cup of fresh veggies per day to your pigs. Check out our diet and nutrition forum for more info on veggies. Veggies aren't cheap. Most of us spend $10-30 or more per week on veggies depending on how many pigs we are feeding.

Then all good pig owners should set aside funds for the vet. You never know when an emergency will arise or when your pig might suddenly get sick. Having a vet fund that you put money into will be one of the most important things you can do to ensure the health of your furry little friends. Nothing breaks my heart more than to see people post that their pig is ill but they aren't taking it to the vet because they can't afford it. If you are going to get pets, you must be able to afford vet care.

Daisy110790

Cavy Slave
I sincerely thank you “Mommy Of One”. Thank you so much! At least I know how much I will be spending before I actually get one. All I got to do is persuade my mom so I can the worlds cutest piggy’s and get some room in my house. I don’t understand, my house is kind of big but there is no room. :confused: :confused: :confused:

No, no one is thinking that.
My guinea pig has been to the vet once and it cost 60 dollars.
(It was only a check up)
It depends on if they get sick.
I spent 20 dollars on a huge thing of coroplast and I used closet racks that I just had and found on the side of the road. (This was behind my moms back so me and my dad had to be sneaky and cheap.) I spend 5 bucks on veggies per week and hay is about 15 dollars and lasts me a month. Pellets last a good two weeks for an average size bag and costs 5 bucks for me.
If you use wood shavings it has to be kiln dried, and yeah you can have the hay in one place like that, it doesn't have to be mixed in. I recomend using fleece as bedding though. It is really cheap and easy. When it needs to be changed you shake it out throw it in the wash and lay down a clean one.

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I am guessing you have alot of stuff then?

Snowflake

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can make some more room by moving furniture? Sometimes they are put in a way that takes up more room than necessary. Also look around for stuff you don't really need anymore.

I heard about people keeping 5 piggies, plus other pets in a 2 room apartment (do you count the same way in the US? That's kitchen, bathroom, living room, bed room, maybe a hallway). I don't know how they do it, but that shows how it must be possible to keep pets on a small space. And: yes, those people do keep those piggies in large cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.