Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

question about keeping the piggies in the bedroom

Calliso

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about keeping the piggies in the bedroom which would allow me to make them a 2x4. The only other place really is the computer room which would only allow me a 2x3 or maybe a 3x3 tops. However I am concerned about the noise level..if any of you keep your pigs in the your bedrooms..how is the noise level? Do they often keep you up all night or do they learn to quiet down when the lights go off? And if there any good ways to keep them quiet if they tend to wheek alot or whatever at night?

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
My piggies only wheek loudly when they are begging for food. Other than that, they do chirp and chatter with one another, but it certainly wouldn't be loud enough to keep me awake. It also depends on your piggies individual personalities. Some are louder than others. Just stay up for a while and see if they are noisy or active during the night. I would imagine it would be just fine to keep them in the bedroom.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply I will wait for a few more replies before I make my decision but that is encouraging :). Also I donlt have the piggies just yet..we still trying to find a place to put the cage. I should also say my main concern is my husband. ALso would the airconditioner or heater being on possibly cause them to be noisy as well?

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Air conditioning or heating shouldn't be an issue. I have a window AC unit for my piggies and at first they were scared when it switched on, but now they don't pay any attention to it. Is your husband a light sleeper? Most guinea pigs don't make really loud noises unless they are begging for food, extremely scared, or fighting one another. There are some piggies that make more noise than others, though, so I think it really will depend on the piggies you choose and how much noise you are willing to tolerate.

It is worth it to find a location for the piggies that will give them the most space possible. They are so much happier with room to run around, and are much more enjoyable to watch and play with as well. Have you thought about adding a second level to the cage? Just make sure the lowest level meets the requirements listed on this site. Adding a second level can give them more room without having to take up a lot of space.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
I also have my guineapigs in my room. And I have ten! They don't really make that much noise. Usually at night there pretty calm, they just usually drink or just munching on their pellets and hay. They may once in awhile I'm sure talk to eachother but...I can't hear them.

clotho

Cavy Slave
If you can fit a 3x3 grid cage into the computer room, I would go with that if I were you. The 3x3 is more space than a 2x4, plus you won't have to worry about any noise. You might hear them drinking from their water bottle, or just running around sometimes at night. It all depends how light a sleeper you are. I am a very light sleeper and could never have my piggies in the bedroom.

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig sleeps in my room right next to my bed.
At night when I go to sleep every one in a while I can here his foot thump as he is having bursts of energy, but it isn't loud and it is certainly easy to 'drain out'. I have ran the air conditioner and heater in my room without a problem at all. If anything with the air on, I don't hear the pigger at all.
I think you should move him into your room, I moved mine in maybe a month ago and I think he is becoming more friendlier, or maybe its my imagination. Either way.
:)

Calliso

Cavy Slave
Oh and we are definately putting a second lvl on. He is not a super light sleeper but can have some trouble getting to sleep. Our air conditioner isn;t super loud usually either but when the compressor comes on then it just sounds kinda weird but it goes back to the gentle breeze sound pretty quick :)...the heater doesn;t make much noise at all. But we are going to get a thermeter and see if the room keeps at a good temp all day when the air conditioner is on power saver. Thanks again for the reply.!

clotho

Cavy Slave
We keep an air conditioner in the piggie's room to keep the temperature around 74-76 F - it makes noise, but the piggies get used to it very quickly.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
If you can fit a 3x3 grid cage into the computer room, I would go with that if I were you. The 3x3 is more space than a 2x4, plus you won't have to worry about any noise. You might hear them drinking from their water bottle, or just running around sometimes at night. It all depends how light a sleeper you are. I am a very light sleeper and could never have my piggies in the bedroom.

Well I just looked again and the 3x3 wouldn;t fit I thought I could move my desk over more..but it can really only move maybe a foot over.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Can you make an L shaped cage and still get the same space for the piggies? It doesn't have to be a perfect rectangle. I'm not sure how big your desk is or how much space you have otherwise - but it's just a thought.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig sleeps in my room right next to my bed.
At night when I go to sleep every one in a while I can here his foot thump as he is having bursts of energy, but it isn't loud and it is certainly easy to 'drain out'. I have ran the air conditioner and heater in my room without a problem at all. If anything with the air on, I don't hear the pigger at all.
I think you should move him into your room, I moved mine in maybe a month ago and I think he is becoming more friendlier, or maybe its my imagination. Either way.
:)

That;s cool! Yeah mine will be right next to my bed on my side as well. I was just soo excited when I realized a 2x4 would fit there..but figured I should ask first if it is a good idea.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
Can you make an L shaped cage and still get the same space for the piggies? It doesn't have to be a perfect rectangle. I'm not sure how big your desk is or how much space you have otherwise - but it's just a thought.

Well I guess I could do that too according to my hubby. He says we could do a 3x2 then maybe have another two grids over. Though he still wants to do his rolling cart idea..and we found a way we could do that the cage would be 23/ 1/4 wide maybe 24 inches wide..and about 48 inches long. My husband also says he wants to use Sintra..which is like that corrugated plastic..but not corrgugated..is it ok to use? Also is it a good idea to have a third story to the cage or is that too high?

Last edited:

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
A third story sounds like a very good idea.
I am sure it won't be too high and the more space the better.
I am not sure about the sintra.
I've never heard of it.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
A third story sounds like a very good idea.
I am sure it won't be too high and the more space the better.
I am not sure about the sintra.
I've never heard of it.

Yeah me either till he mentioned it lol!..Guess it is super expensive though like $60 dollars a sheet but we can get it free. Also does anyone think the possible quarter inch of lost space on the width would really matter much?

Calliso

Cavy Slave
This is some more infoabout sintra..

Sintra material is closed-cell, expanded plastic, high-density polyvinylchloride sheet. Sintra is a homogeneous material that allows the ease of cutting without regard for grain. At half the weight of solid PVC, Sintra may be stapled, nailed, riveted, glued, and thermoformed. Forming may be done on conventional forming machines. Because this material is not hydroscopic, it needs no drying pre-forming. Sintra is available in 9 thickness' 1mm-13mm all thickness' are available in white, some thickness' are also available in black & colors. (white, black, light gray, dark gray, beige, dark red, green, yellow, blue and dark blue

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
The advantage of the coroplast is that you can "score" one side to allow it to bend while still keeping it intact. I'm not sure if you can do that with the sintra since it is closed-cell. You could still cut out the bottom and sides separately so long as you seal them together with tape or something along those lines.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
The advantage of the coroplast is that you can "score" one side to allow it to bend while still keeping it intact. I'm not sure if you can do that with the sintra since it is closed-cell. You could still cut out the bottom and sides separately so long as you seal them together with tape or something along those lines.

Well this I think you can heat to bend..and my husband will be building it in his workshop at his work..so will have special tools to use too I think. But from the site I looked at it didn;t see very hard to work with.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Oh lucky you! I wish I had a husband to help out with stuff like that. My sister always says, "I don't need a man. I need a handyman." Haha, I couldn't agree more!

Calliso

Cavy Slave
Well I am pretty sure we are doing an L shaped cage in the computer room..though the hubby still has a ton of ideas roaming in his head lol! So might change in an hour or so ahah. Err maybe not kinda leaning towards the cart idea.. the L shaped would make it almost impossible for me to have a second level and still be able to reach all parts the cage and even without it would still be a bit hard i think.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.