Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cage setup males and females

milly100

Cavy Slave
I currently have 2 male piggies and did have 2 female piggies that I am getting back very soon. Im building a C&C cage for my boys once the rest of the materials arrive. I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the boys cage and put up a divider and house the girls in 1 end and the boys in the other end. Or would this cause problems.
Any help or ideas would be greatful. thanks :)

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I have never experimented with multiple boys next to girls, but I would imagine it could cause some scuffles. Test it out and if it doesn't work, you might consider a stacked cage- one level for boys, one level for girls. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I do have experience with this as I used to have boars as well as sows. You can do connected cages provided both sides meet the minimum standards for the C&C cages. The boars will need at least a 2x4 for 2 and the sows will need at least a 2x3. You can make a 2x7 and divide it at the 2x3 mark and then build a partial or full lid for the boys side so they can't climb the grids when the sows are in heat.

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
I would like to do this for my pigs too. I have a female and a male who is neutered living together and then one lone male. I would like to get him a friend...but I'm worried they will fight.

Let me know how it turns out. :)

milly100

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info I think Ill give it a try. Ive just got my 2 female piggies back tonight and there cage is beside the boys cage so Ill see how it goes before building my C&C cage. If I dont thonk its going to work ill build a stacked cage and see how it goes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.