Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My glass & coroplast cage

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Hello, friends:

As I promised when I introduced myself in the forums some days ago, here I can show you some images about my cage. Is a 50 x 30 inc. cage (about 128 x 77 cm.). It´s homemade, I wanted to have a nice-looking cage, because it´s located in an important place in my home. So I decided to make the cage with glass (front), and blue coroplast (a coroplast cage, but without two flaps...this way I made a whole rectangle with the two materials).

These photographies are from yesterday, when I cleaned the cage. The first one is done with the cage completely empty, the second one with his house and a little tree (resin), where I put some vegetables for him.

I was washing many things at that moment, so you see a very empty cage, but he has some things to play with. Drink bottles and feeding accesories were cleaning, too. I will try to make new photos soon :)

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

About his cleaning...is easy, because I can separate the glass and the coroplast, then I can drop all the dirtiness in a big container...and the job is done :D

I hope you like it, friends

Sergio

Last edited by a moderator:

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Wow, I love your cage! It looks so neat and tidy, and although the Cubes are OK I think the glass looks much more attractive! How much was it - and how did you fix it all together?
Good job!

chesneycwgrl

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
that looks amazing!!

its like pig art..

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your answers...nice you like it!!

It´s homemade, glasses costs were 30 € (about 35 dollars, I think), and I did stick them together by myself. I found coroplast in a sign store here in my city, 8 € a big piece, and I made the cage I´m talking about, a cage with a 127 x 77 cm base, and 25 cm high, excepting the front and the right side, where I have put the glasses.

Glasses and coroplast are not sticked together...just fixed with a removable system. When I want to clean the cage, I do pull back the glasses to make it easy, a better access to the coroplast part.

But everything about this system is not so cool: for example, it´s difficult for me to add a second level with these materials, although I´m planning these days a way to do so...but it´s more complicated to add drink bottles and such things here.

I´m planning to add more things to my cage...soon I´ll tell you if I decide to do so :)

Thanks for your interest, if you want something more, please, tell me

((Oh, and sorry about the images...I thought they were ok...sorry a lot, I will take care about it in the future))

chesneycwgrl

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
can you stack cubles with the legs inside the cage, like an elivated mini cage?

Indiana

Cavy Slave
It´s an option I´m thinking about. I have a piece that can be good to use in this cage...it´s a cube piece with 25 cm (high), so it would be great to adapt it inside the cage to get a second level...

As I wrote before...I´m thinking about different ways to build a second level...it´s just a matter of time and materials :)

Thanks for your idea, friend :)

Sergio

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Very interesting, but the purpose of using the cube grids is to have adequate ventilation in the cage, and that doesn't happen with solid walls. While it's pretty, essentially what you've built is a very large aquarium.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
PM, I thought the main concern of aquariums was the size, because it's so small the top doesn't allow enough ventilation. I think with such a large cage that the bedding won't become saturated and there it's a much larger top opening to ventilate. The reason I say this is because I've seen cages similar to this but they weren't compared to aquariums.

Indiana, I think it looks amazing and is a great alternative if someone is having issues finding grids.

Indiana

Cavy Slave
Very interesting, but the purpose of using the cube grids is to have adequate ventilation in the cage, and that doesn't happen with solid walls. While it's pretty, essentially what you've built is a very large aquarium.

Thanks for the advice, friend :)

However, I must say I have been thinking a lot about this many times before building the cage. Then I decided to do a cage with a little high. I can tell you that this cage is 25 cm high (cubes are 35cm, for example), and it´s a big enough rectangle (125 x 75 cm), I think it musn´t have any problem with ventilation.

Moreover, is placed in the better place about ventilation in my home, that´s for sure. I just can say he was much more happy since the day I built this cage for him.

But as I said before, thanks for the advice, we always must look for our cavies happiness.

Thanks to you as well, dag :)

Sergio

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.