Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! Small arms! How do you clean, and catch the piggies?

The Wheeker

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone!

First off, I love this site! Everyone is such a big help!

My husband just built us a C&C cage, two level. He put access doors on top of the main front area, one on the rear side, and one on the top level. Well, I found out quick that my little T-rex arms can't reach a few areas on the bottom area. Ugh! And on top of it, Dandelion and Brownie can easily get out of my reach for me to catch them for lap and floor time :sad: . They are still quite shy of me, they don't like any treats yet except for some lettuce, and even then, not enough to entice them. I don't want to have to try to set up barricades and corner them, I'm afraid that will do more damage than good as far as their trust issue with me.

Any ideas?

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I don't quite understand about where your doors are? For the top level maybe you could just remove the top. You could also maybe have a gap between the 2 levels (so the cage is 2 levels, but actually 3 grids high) so you have more room to get in the bottom?

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Please explain the layout of the cage in more detail. I cant picture what you are talking about.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture of your cage?, that may help us understand how you have your cage set up.

The Wheeker

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the small pic, I had image resizing issues....

The lower level top left has a double door, the lower level at the side has a single door, and then the top level has a single. The only issues I have are lower level, somewhat center back, neither from the front nor the rear entrance can I reach it.

Sorry for the other name, my daughter wanted me to change Redkat to the Wheeker, she thought it was cuter. I wrote the moderator to see which name we can keep :) Again, sorry for any confusion.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
For catching them, I think I would perhaps try the wooden-spoon-method - where one uses a wooden spoon to extend the reach of one's arm - thus shepherding the piggies closer. If you have a tube in there- you culd persuade them to go in there - then cover both ends with your hands, and lift them out that way (in the tube)! Some pigs actually find this less stressful.

For cleaning out, if you hinged the lower front or side sides of the cage, then you could 'just' pull/slide the coroplast out.

The Wheeker

Cavy Slave
For cleaning out, if you hinged the lower front or side sides of the cage, then you could 'just' pull/slide the coroplast out.[/quote]

I didn't think of that, what a great solution, thanks so much....

magicroundabout

Cavy Slave
I sometimes have trouble catching one of my stubborn little piggies, that sound like a good idea, thanks JarBax! :)

riizu

Cavy Slave
What a fantastic Idea for cleaning! That really reduces my apprehension regarding a second level on my 2x4 cage ^__^ Thanks so much!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.