Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

it's 5am and I'm scared that Stitch won't make it

Naomi

Cavy Slave
I got woke up about a 1/2 hour ago by strange sounds from the piggie cage, when I went to check Stitch was (and still is) whimpering and sounds like labored breathing. I don't know if he'll make it till the vet opens in 4 hours and there are no emerg/24 hour vets vets here. eyes and nose look clear but he's lethargic.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Oh dear! That sounds horrible! You must be so upset. I hope Stitch will be alright. Try and look inside his mouth and nose and see if you can see anything blocking his airway however it's very unlikely it sounds more like a URI which can be fatal if you do not seek medical attention A.S.A.P.

Did you try calling the vet that isn't open and say it's an emergency? Try looking online or in a phonebook too see if you can find a vet that is open. Time is of the essence, the longer you wait the more likely stitch might not make it. Have a look at guinealynx or post there and see if anyone has tips on things you could do yourself.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Naomi

Cavy Slave
the whimpering and laboured sounds have stopped but he still isn't moving around or anything normal when I hold him. I am taking him in as soon as the closest vet opens.

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Good luck and keep us posted! *sending good thoughts*

camende

Cavy Slave
I hope Stitch gets better soon! Let us know how it goes at the vet.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
it's so weird! I held him for an hour and he was unresponsive (trance like) and whimpering. I put him back in the cage so I can shower come out and he's wheeking etc. for food looking fine, trust me he is still going to the vet but it's WEIRD!

Fay

Cavy Slave
He could have had something stuck in his airway or it could be that you witnissed your pig preparing too chirp. I've heard that before some pigs chirp they warm up. I'm not sure what they exactly do so maybe someone could tell you. I heard one of my pigs chirp once and I can imagine they would have to warm up a bit for that! Sadly I haven't seen it but this could have been what happened. Either way go see a vet as soon as possible either way as it could be someting serious.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Could it be a seizure??

Naomi

Cavy Slave
Could it be a seizure??

no it doesn't seem like a seizure. I am wondering about the chirping thing though, I have only heard it one time and it was only 2 quick chirps but it was that time of night/morning and he sure seemed to be in a trance but even with me hoding and petting him for an hour it didn't change.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I had read somewhere, can't remember where though that some pigs do this and is harmless, strange but harmless. It's like they go into a trance of some sort. Please lets us know what the vet thinks it is.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I found what I read, here it is:

Chirping A rare sound made by some guinea pigs. I have only ever had the good fortune to hear and see my Sweetpea making this sound. I was in another room and suddenly heard what sounded like a bird singing. I even thought a bird may have flown through an open window by accident. When I came to investigate, there was Sweetpea, with her head held high, chirping like a bird. Her little lips were going in and out as though she was whistling a tune. All my other piggies were very still and quiet, as though they were listening to Sweetpea singing. I was so chuffed to witness one of my guinea pigs making this sound, it lasted about 30 seconds. Nothing unusual was happening, so I don't know why she was making this lovely sound. Sweetpea seemed to be in a world of her own at the time. Even when I approched her she continued to chirp for a few more seconds. When she stopped, she went straight to her food bowl, as though nothing had happened. Read this very interesting information about guinea pigs chirping Guinea Lynx: Chirping

Here is a link, I hope it works.

Guinea Pig Care and Health Information

Naomi

Cavy Slave
i phoned and the soonest they can see him is 8:45. I will let you all know what happens. Strange little bugger is acting fine now.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
well vet gave him a clean bill of health he said it could have been a blood sugar drop or the trance like chirping thing, said to keep an eye on him but not to worry he's sure it was nothing. heart, lungs, eyes, nose, are all clear and fine, his ears are super dirty but no creepy crawlies in them, his temp was on the low side but he had a hard time getting it, and he has a swollen lymph nodes under his front legs but he has always had those, Shannon has them too.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear that Stitch is okay! It is such a relief when the vet says that everything is okay. Tell him not to scare his mom like that again!

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
I would keep an eye on him. Are you weighing him regularly?

Naomi

Cavy Slave
I would keep an eye on him. Are you weighing him regularly?
I don't own a scale but the vet said he is 3 pounds exactly, funny this is he doesn't look chunky but that sounds big.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
I'm glad everything went ok. Good luck with further health with him.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
You should get a scale. Weighing him once a week and keeping track of any changes in his weight will let you know how healthy he is. Any loss more than 2 ounces in a week is a danger sign.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
Well 4am this morning he was doing it again. I think it just may be his version of chirping. Any thoughts?

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Yes, maybe thats just his way of doing chirpping strange piggie. Keep a close eye and ear on him lol :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.