Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Will this support my coroplast

Mr.Jiggles

Cavy Slave
So, the consturction of Mr.Jiggle's new cage was delayed due to me being sick. I will begin building on Monday so I am making last minute upgrades. My question is: If I make a stand out of grids (Will be made like this: 1 grid THICK x 2 grids wide with a grid centered on the inside of the column. It will be 2 grids high and will have a grid on top of the column.). Would 2 grids wide by 1 grid thick, support a 2x4 cage with coroplast on the INSIDE and the cage would then be attached to the columns and the pan placed inside.

Here is a picture to clear things up:

This is the cage the pan would go inside......the yellow marks what would be supported by stand. Also, ignore the inside bottom, that was what I was going to do and might.

The legs would be held together with a "rope" running on the ground. This would stop the legs from splitting inwards of out. Thanks

Edit: Also, will someone send me a picture of their stand, even if it a plywood board, on a 2x4 cage?!?! Thanks again

Last edited:
The trick to stands supporting the cages, is zip ties. They are key in keeping things held together.
I don't have a stand, but I have a 2x5 cage that is supported by another 2 grid high 2x5 cage. I used to have a 2x4 that was built the exact same way. I don't know if my pics will help you or not, but you are welcome to look at them and see. https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5545

I am struggling to see what your plans are - but hope you are planning on having grids under the whole of the coroplast...:confused:

Here is a pic of my cage under construction if it helps atall:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6040/cat/500/ppuser/4060

You may have to use some kind of support underneath the middle of the cage - ideally grids. You will see that I use a strong cardboard tube as a pillar.

Look forward to hearing how you get on! (pictures please!)

I have used wooden dowels also. They come in all sizes and you can cut to fit. Not to mention they are cheap. I picked some up at walmart for under a dollar. Check the craft section.

How do you use the dowels? Do you still have grids under the whole coroplast? Picture please, if its not too much of a hassle? I can't really see how dowels will support the whole cage. Thanks

You don't have to grid the whole floor if you use dowel sticks. I have most of my 2nd level floor gridded, but that is because it was built first, and the extra support was added in later as an after thought to prevent any sag in the middle of my coroplast.
Right now I am not using dowel sticks--keep forgetting to pick some up--but I have an old broom handle that serves the same purpose.

This is a picture of as much of the underside of my second level as I could get in to a pic. Does this help you?

You could actually use a few less grids on the floor than I used, but the grids on the ends are important to help the dowels support everything.

Will this support my coroplast

Ok, now I understand. Thanks! you just saved me alot of time and money!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.