Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet Gasha!

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. My name is Meredith. I'm a 24 year old single mother. My 4 year old daughter and I live with my parents. We just recently decided to get a first pet for Breanna. After much consideration, we decided to get a guinea pig. We bought a beautiful baby girl from the pet store and brought her home with us. Only after bringing her home did I find this site and read up on why buying from a pet store isn't a good idea. Oh well, we're in love with her already (we just got her Thursday evening) and we're totally devoted to taking good care of her. Breanna is really learning responsibility by helping me take care of Gasha (pronounced like Tasha, but with a 'G'). She's such a big helper, always wanting to help me clean the food bowl and get Gasha's veggies ready for her.

I'm not exactly sure how old Gasha is, but they said at the store that she's a baby... and she's pretty small. She's already getting such a little personality. She's still definitely a bit skittish, but it's getting better every day. I'm really looking forward to reading up on the forums and learning all there is to know about this sweet animal we've brought into our lives.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of Gasha tonight. Please excuse my bare feet in the pictures. Gasha was exploring on the floor tonight and I don't have any way to keep her from going where she shouldn't be, so I made a little "pen" with my legs.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Gasha is so adorable! She looks to be just barely 4 weeks old.
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll learn lots and lots about caring for guinea pigs.
Have you considered making a C and C cage?

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Very cute piggy.

Many of us have started with petstore piggies, so don't feel bad.

I didn't find this site til after I had purchased my two from a petstore.

But either way, this site is FULL of information.
Plus you can find all the info you'll need on making sure Gasha isn't sick of anything from being a petstore pig.
Welcome.

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Gasha is so adorable! She looks to be just barely 4 weeks old.
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll learn lots and lots about caring for guinea pigs.
Have you considered making a C and C cage?

Thanks for the welcome!

My father loves building things, so when I found this site I showed it to him and he's been browsing all the photos of cages. He plans on making one when she gets a little bigger so she will have plenty of room to grow and play. I'm so excited about helping him build it. There's so many different and wonderful ideas on here.

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Very cute piggy.

Many of us have started with petstore piggies, so don't feel bad.

I didn't find this site til after I had purchased my two from a petstore.

But either way, this site is FULL of information.
Plus you can find all the info you'll need on making sure Gasha isn't sick of anything from being a petstore pig.
Welcome.

Thank you for the welcome! I've been reading through the forum and have already found so much great information. This is a really great site.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
awh, shes adorable. I have a 4 week old baby pig too. =) Hopefully you add another piggy on soon. Their much funner in pairs.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Gasha is a very cute piggy, and quite nice jammies as well in your impromptu "leg pen" pictures. As has already been said, a lot of us got out first pigs from stores and then learned better, myself included. What's most important now is that you give Gasha the best life possible, and when you find her a buddy, adopt her from a shelter or rescue or rehome from someone who needs to find a home for one of their animals.

I hope you continue to find loads of great information to make your union with Gasha (and future pigs) as wonderful as you can.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
Welcome and she is LOVELY! Trust us - this site is GREAT. Even those of us that have had piggies for awhile are still learning! [That includes me big time!]

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
awh, shes adorable. I have a 4 week old baby pig too. =) Hopefully you add another piggy on soon. Their much funner in pairs.

Thank you! I sure hope we'll be able to get another one as well. We're having so much fun already with her. I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to see two of them interact.

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Gasha is a very cute piggy, and quite nice jammies as well in your impromptu "leg pen" pictures. As has already been said, a lot of us got out first pigs from stores and then learned better, myself included. What's most important now is that you give Gasha the best life possible, and when you find her a buddy, adopt her from a shelter or rescue or rehome from someone who needs to find a home for one of their animals.

I hope you continue to find loads of great information to make your union with Gasha (and future pigs) as wonderful as you can.

Thank you for the compliments on Gasha and my jammies. haha
I've been looking on petfinder and on different sites for guinea pigs in need of homes in my area, but I've only found one male. The closest, other than that one, is in Georgia. I will definitely keep my eyes open for more sweeties needing homes!

rgrandon47

Cavy Slave
You could always get the male nuetered? As long as you trust your vet to do the job right. :)

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Welcome and she is LOVELY! Trust us - this site is GREAT. Even those of us that have had piggies for awhile are still learning! [That includes me big time!]

Thank you! My daughter and I are so in love with her already. :)

We were having some bad weather tonight and the tornado warning sirens went off. My mother laughed at me because as soon as I got my daughter downstairs to our place of safety, I ran back upstairs to collect Gasha and bring her downstairs wrapped up in a towel so she would be more comfortable. I couldn't just leave her up there!

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
You could always get the male nuetered? As long as you trust your vet to do the job right. :)

That's an idea! I don't know why I didn't think about it. I'll have to check and see if he's found a home yet. Then we'll see if that could be a possibility for us right now.

rgrandon47

Cavy Slave
Thank you! My daughter and I are so in love with her already. :)

We were having some bad weather tonight and the tornado warning sirens went off. My mother laughed at me because as soon as I got my daughter downstairs to our place of safety, I ran back upstairs to collect Gasha and bring her downstairs wrapped up in a towel so she would be more comfortable. I couldn't just leave her up there!

I'm glad I live in California where all we have are earthquakes...which strike without warning so really there's no need to worry ahead of time. ;) lol

I would have done the same thing in your situation! Except it would have taken me a lot longer with all of my animals...(2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 cockatiel, 1 bunny) :)

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I live in California where all we have are earthquakes...which strike without warning so really there's no need to worry ahead of time. ;) lol

I would have done the same thing in your situation! Except it would have taken me a lot longer with all of my animals...(2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 cockatiel, 1 bunny) :)

Eeps! I bet that would have taken a lot longer. haha

I have lived in the south (Alabama) all my life and I'm so used to tornado warnings and whatnot... I can't even imagine living somewhere else and having to deal with blizzards up north or earthquakes out west or hurricanes. I'd be a nervous wreck!

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Gasha is such a sweetie! I'm sure you'll find the forums very helpful. It sounds like you and your daughter are going to make great piggie moms! Good luck finding Gasha a buddy. I'm sure that if you post your general area someone could help you find some if you're having trouble.

I can't even imagine living somewhere else and having to deal with blizzards up north

This is funny. I live in upstate NY and we haven't had any snow the whole winter except for one inch in the middle of January. It snowed overnight and we have a good foot now! It's still snowing, too! But I figure, if it's gonna be cold, we might as well have snow! Classes are cancelled, too. :cheerful:

Anyways, welcome again! Can't wait for more Gasha pigtures! See you around the forums!

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Gasha is adorable. How did you come up with her name? Congrats and have lots of fun with her.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I sure hope we'll be able to get another one as well. We're having so much fun already with her. I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to see two of them interact.
Yes their fun together. If you get an older one the little one will follow her around, in my case she follows both of them around! She annoys Montrey trying to cuddle with her, but Faith doesn't mind Spot cuddling right in the crest. All my pigs lay like dogs all around their cage and the house! The hole family enjoys.

I would be a nervous wreck if a tornados were comman in my area. I hear alabama is comman for Tornados. We did have mild 50 degree weather here in Ohio until 3 weeks ago then all the sudden we're getting a foot of snow, but at least we aren't like new york who has well over 100 inches by the great lakes. Woo, that would be awful. Right now we are all stacked up and ready for the snow to hit us again tonight to add another good foot or two.

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Gasha is such a sweetie! I'm sure you'll find the forums very helpful. It sounds like you and your daughter are going to make great piggie moms! Good luck finding Gasha a buddy. I'm sure that if you post your general area someone could help you find some if you're having trouble.

This is funny. I live in upstate NY and we haven't had any snow the whole winter except for one inch in the middle of January. It snowed overnight and we have a good foot now! It's still snowing, too! But I figure, if it's gonna be cold, we might as well have snow! Classes are cancelled, too. :cheerful:

Anyways, welcome again! Can't wait for more Gasha pigtures! See you around the forums!

Thanks for the welcome! My daughter and I went shopping tonight at the dollar store and bought a couple of cat toys for Gasha -- those little balls with the bells in them. Gasha has had a blast with them tonight. She's been pushing them around her cage all evening. I can hear them jangling now. haha

I would love to find a buddy for her. We're in Birmingham, Alabama. I've looked on several different sites, including petfinder, and have only been able to find a rescue/shelter that has piggies in Georgia. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens and if another piggie becomes available near us soon.

bresmommy92402

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Gasha is adorable. How did you come up with her name? Congrats and have lots of fun with her.

Thank you! My daughter actually came up with the name. She has a current fascination with the name Sara, so when we got our new piggie, my daughter wanted to name her Sara. I told her that Sara is a lovely name, however, everything she owns right now is named Sara. That includes toys, stuffed animals... etc. haha I encouraged her to think of something else and she said, "How about Gasha?" I thought about it for a second and said, "Works for me!" I think it's a pretty unique name. And to be honest, I'm kind of relieved we don't have another thing named Sara in the house. I'm starting to get confused with what "Sara" she's talking about when she asks where it is. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.