Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should I?

birtha

Cavy Slave
I really want to use fleece, actually tried it once but then I got a secound guinea pig and she wasent litter trained so she went on the fleece witch made it stink. So I was woundering should I put fleece in there agian or should I just use shavings? And I know people like differnt things but I have no idea on it so anything would help.

thanks so muchlol lol

Last edited:

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Well guineapigs will pee and poop on the fleece you just every few hours or so have to hand vac the poos and then for fleece I believe have to wash it once a week and whatever u have under it(puppy pads/towels). I use shavings but...its whatever is easier for you. Just make sure with shavings it is kiln-dried pine or aspen.

Cavy Ema

Cavy Slave
I only have to vacuum up poop once a day. Twice on a poopy day. lol

I wash once a week. You will need to put an absorbent layer under it however or it will DEFINITELY stink.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I just switched to fleece and I will never go back to care fresh. I went one week with no smell at all. I use a thick layer of newspaper, one layer of towels and one layer of fleece. Vacuum the poos daily (or use a dust pan and sweep them up). Easy and costs a bunch less!

Earl&Flash

Cavy Slave
I love using fleece. If you have any questions let me know. I have tried several different setups and have found one that works for me.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Hi Bertha,
I just started using fleece a few weeks ago, I for the first week or so (actually I couldn't let it go a week, more like 4 days) it did smell. However I think this is because I hadn't washed my fleece first, so it wasn't really doing its job. I've noticed such a difference since I washed it. I'm still kind of picky and wash every 4 or 5 days, but it doesn't smell one bit.
Tere

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
You don't really have to sweep/vac poos more than once a day unless you are just really anal about seeing them on the fleece. I only sweep at night right after I give them their bedtime veggies. I went 2 weeks once (just to see) without washing my fleece and really didn't smell anything unless I had my nose right down by the fleece. The way I had my cage, I actually had to stick my head in, so I did get a whif every night.

Just be sure to wash your fleece first. Mine took 8 washings to get it to wick. And don't use fabric softener. I use towels under my fleece.

I really love the fleece. It is just so much cleaner, easier to care for, and after the initial cost of the fleece and towels, cheaper.

Good luck with it.

WillowWinnieMom

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of changing to fleece, so I appreciate the experience of those who have used both the traditional bedding types (Aspen/Carefresh etc) and fleece. I am looking for more feedback on this topic. I have only had my piggies for a short time and I am already sick of the mess the Aspen bedding is making all over my house. Also, cleaning out the cage was a HUGE mess. I had bedding all over me and the floor, so I am hoping fleece is the answer. I would appreciate even more input from those with experience using fleece!! Thank you!

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
hiya, im thinking of using fleece in my cage too, i havent got mine yet but im planning for when i rescue-adopt them in april, will tell you what happens.

Good luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.