Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! Many Questions.

katk925

Cavy Slave
Well, i know I will get jumped on but i hope everyone will understand.

Until this week I had not looked online EVER about my pigs. I got my first pig when I was four (thanks mom!) and no one in my family ever knew, or was told that we HAD to have more than one. About 8 months ago I adopted my best friend's little brother's 4-5 year old male (Billy), had him neutered and tried to get him to live happily with my 4 year old female (Charley- yup, we thought she was a boy, good thing we asked the vet when we got Billy!), who had never had a companion. He had also never had a companion and was way to aggressive to be in the same cage with her, so they were next to each other and got to play together with supervision.

Well, sadly Billy passed away last week and immediatly Charley got very sad. "They are very social," my mom said "I just didnt know HOW social..." So we turned to the internet, for advice and a new pig. Now I see how wrong I have been!

So, I am planning a BIG new C&C cage for Charley and whatever new female companion(s?) I find for her.

Here is the BIG QUESTION-

How do I introduce a new pig(s) for a permenant living situation? I thought with Billy I could just neuter him and put him with her, but he just chewed on her! and she hated it.... Any advice? Is age a factor? I mean, do i want another senior citizen? If I find two or three other pigs I like will I overwhelm Charley? Is a range of ages bad or good?

Also, i need help finding pigs, though I think i have a promising selection of three girls in Downey, CA..... How do I "interview" a pig to see if it is right for my girl?

Any help would be great!

~Kat

katk925 said:
How do I introduce a new pig(s) for a permenant living situation? I thought with Billy I could just neuter him and put him with her, but he just chewed on her! and she hated it.... Any advice?
~Kat
Read this page which has great information and will answer your questions. https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Personally, I'd get another of the same sex as to not have to deal with netuering (do not let pigs breed). If neutering, you can get mixed sex but do not get more than one male if there are any females in the herd. I got a baby pig when adding my second because my theory was that the older pig would automatically get to be the top pig and therefore have less battles for dominance. It worked out well but there's a lot that has to do with personality.

katk925 said:
Also, i need help finding pigs, though I think i have a promising selection of three girls in Downey, CA..... How do I "interview" a pig to see if it is right for my girl?
~Kat
Try the Orange County Cavy Haven https://www.cavyhaven.org/. They currently have a female under a year who's just adorable. Check out Valentine.

As for how they'll get along with your girl... Not sure you can "interview" for that. Just try and get one that feels right to you. They may be fostering her with multiple pigs so you can ask the rescue how well she gets along with others. That should be a good indication.

Good luck!

Try the Orange County Cavy Haven https://www.cavyhaven.org/. They currently have a female under a year who's just adorable. Check out Valentine.

Thank you so much for the above link! What a great organization. I want to help. Valentine looks so cute, but I think that my first priority should be getting those three girls out of that high kill shelter!

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

They dont even have names! Just numbers.... and they are on the kill list....

~kat

Oh, they're all so cute! I dont know how you can resist adopting every one of them!!!
lol

loves2travel said:
Oh, they're all so cute! I dont know how you can resist adopting every one of them!!!
lol

I CANT! i may get all of them and try to place two with another family.... who knows?

~kat

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.