Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding for my cage

MrBassMan26

Cavy Slave
I've been reading about different bedding. is it ok to cover the bottom of my c&c pen with pine shavings? also, can cavies jump??

Don't use pine unless it is kiln dried, it will say on the bag. Aspen is the best wood shavings I believe. Carefresh is really good, but kind of pricey. As far as jumping, most cavies aren't really jumpers as far as I know.

They can jump straight up no more than about 8 inches. My boys jump on a platform that I have about 5" high all the time from a standstill

They won't do a run jump over cages etc though. That's why so many of us have open topped cages.

Actually I have seen many a pig jump around 10-12" straight up onto 2nd level shelves. The record I know of is a female that jumped over a 24" high smooth sided board we were using to block the hallway. However it's very rare that pigs attempt to get out of their cage. Most of them would rather jump or climb back into their cage than out of it. Usually if you do have one that escapes there are good reasons for it. Such as a very empty cage, no friends, no hay to eat, and something sitting next to the cage wall with the cage sitting on the floor so it's very easy for them to get out as well as their cage being quite boring. If they have something to do or somewhere to hide then they would much rather stay put no matter what. Not counting boys being housed next to girls(they'll always try to get over the side) I've heard of 3 or 4 escapes out of probably 100s of pigs that are in open top cages and never had one of mine do it.

I had one guinea pig jump a full 16" while trying to escape from a bath. But under normal circumstances he never jumped more than about 8".

Pine is fine if it's kiln-dried, but if you can't find that I've also heard that it's okay if you let it sit out & dry for... darn, I think it was a few days? Hopefully someone that remembers will be able to tell you how long to dry it out before using it. I've used it in a pinch before and it works okay, but the aspen is less poke-y and feels softer to the touch. I can only imagine that it feels better on tiny feet as well. Fleece would be another option that would save a ton of money over time, if you were considering the pine because of relative cost.
love,
mom

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.