Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about fleece

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I have a question for anyone who has tried fleece. I am considering going to this since I have a large cage. How often do you change it? Id there any special way you need to wash it? How well does it absorb and hide odor?

Any other info you have would be great as well.

Thanks!

Hey! I notice you're from Orange Co.! I'm in the Pasadena area so it's nice to see another southern Californian!

Anyways, I've been using fleece with my little Amelia. I switched because she kept sneezing with the paper bedding. I have LOVED it. I spent about $20 buying three large remnants of fleece and got about 6 coverings out of them. I change the bedding about every other day with changing the newspaper underneath every morning. I haven't noticed any more odor than with any other bedding and perhaps less because the fleece will dry. My piggie's hay is just in a corner in her cage so sometimes that's a pain trying to shake all the hay bits off, but it usually isn't a problem. I wash the fleece with somewhat diluted detergent and on hot water and then I just dry them in the dryer without any fabric softener.

My piggie is pretty happy....she hasn't been nibbling on it and doesn't particularly like to borrow under it. The first time I used the fleece, she literally ran around frolicking like she was soooo happy cause it was soft on her feet.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know! :)

since shaking off the hay from fleece seems to be a big pain, why not put a brick patio under the hay? It would serve as double purpose - easier to clean, wears down toenails. Would this work? I havn't tried it, so any feedback?

Hi. I just wanted to share that I just started using fleece for my guinea pig cage. I have 2 boars that live together, and I lined the top floor of their cage with fleece, and use newspaper on the bottom floor. I've noticed that they don't seem to go to the bathroom upstairs as often (I have water and hay on the 1st floor-this could be why). So I only need to change the fleece every other day. My pigs were also very excitied to run on the fleece! I'd definately recommend fleece, but it does have a slight draw back, I have to sweep my floor everytime I change it because I have to shake the poops off! It's well worth it though!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
has anyone ever heard of doing have a cage with a brick patio and the other half with bedding? would this work? it just seems like a great cost-cutter

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.