Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

At what age can guinea pigs be seperated from there moms?

Maddogg

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was just pondering about the age of one of my guinea pigs that I got about a month ago, from a pet store, and I now know the mistake it was because they were sick but now have been treated by a vet. Anyway, that is not the point of this new thread. I was wandering at what age guinea pigs can be seperated from their moms, (weaned), and live by themselves. If anyone knows that would be great because the information I am getting from google is not reliable, giving me 50 different answers. So if anyone knows that would be great thanks.

Males should be seperated from their mothers at 3 weeks of age. After that, they can be fertile and will try to mount their mothers or sisters.

It denpends on the pet store, but when I got my first one (I also see the error in my ways, as I was young, and she died after only a few months.), anyways, they told me she was about 3 months old. Maybe that helps.

I have 3 babies now 2 weeks old. Two of them are quite upset away from mom. The third is quiet and does not act as if s/he is afraid. We have another week or two so I shall see if they can be seperated. They are all eating veggies, pellets, hay and drinking from the water bottles. Just the constant wheeking for mom is very upsetting to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.