Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Greetings!

jcarr492

Cavy Slave
My name is Julie and we are new cavy owners...well, my daughters are. LOL. We had a guinea pig years ago and Dh and I loved him so much, I wanted my girls to have the same experience too. We tried an indoor small dog...and even though we loved her dearly...she was stubborn about housetraining and I couldn't stand cleaning up accidents all day. I like our piggies...they are contained and I don't mind cleaning up their little accidents on the floor during play time.

My daughters each have one piggie, Oscar and Lola. Oscar is a silky and Lola is a Coronet. They are kept separate as I think Lola is still young to be a mommy. She was born in July and Oscar was born in June. I'm in the midst of getting c&c cage supplies together to build them a larger cage with a partition so they can still see each other, but not "get together". LOL.

We are located in the gulf coast of Texas...hot and humid.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Hi Julie and welcome. Have you thought of having oscar neutered? Guinea pigs do better in social groups. Or getting a same sex friend for both of them? See https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm. Would love to see some pigtures!

Feel free to ask any questions.

jcarr492

Cavy Slave
where do i go to have him neutered? what is the cost in having that done? I was told he doesn't need to be as long as their kept separate. We were laughing at them this morning..we had both on the floor and he circles her round and round and they make this purring sound. Every time he tried to get behind her, my daughter just picked him up and moved him away. Lola is not giving him the time of day though. LOL

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I would suggest not putting them together at all until he is neutered. It only takes a second for pregnancy to occur and you can't possibly prevent it at all times.

Check out the breeding page on Www.cavyspirit.com for more information.

You can get your piggie neutered by a knowledgeable exotics vet.

jcarr492

Cavy Slave
okay, thanks..I will look into it on monday. dh needs a vasectomy..maybe they can get a 2 for 1? LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.