Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Searching for the Perfect Pig - St. John's NL

scuffle

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum and I hope someone can help me. I am on a quest for a pet guinea pig and I am having a surprisingly hard time finding what I am looking for. I want a smooth-coated, short-haired baby and apparently pet stores around here don't stock too many of them. Does anyone know of a guinea pig breeder I can contact in Newfoundland? How do all you other Nl'ers get your animals? I have always purchased my piggies from pet stores but my latest search hasn't given me a lot of confidence in finding a healthy animal and I would like to try a different approach
Thanks
Lori

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Nobody on here will recomend a breeder to you, this is an antibreeding forum. I am sure you will find a big selection of pigs on petfinder.com or at a local shelter. Please adopt a homeless pig and do not buy from a petstore.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
We have several Canadin members that I'm certain will soon be along to help you find a GP to adopt.

scuffle

Cavy Slave
Oh, I didn't realize that breeders were a problem. Like I said, I used to always buy my animals from pet stores. I would be delighted to adopt a pig. My dogs are adopted and I would never get a dog any other way. I have checked the local shelters and will continue to. I don't think I have ever seen a guinea pig available that way.

Could someone tell me why a breeder is not a good idea or perhaps direct me to where I could find out more information about that?

Thanks

scuffle

Cavy Slave
I have been looking around at various rescue sites and I am shocked at how many pigs are in need of homes. Generally speaking will rescue organizations ship guinea pigs to other places or do they only adopt locally? How well would a guinea pig tolerate such a trip, I wonder. Has anyone adopted a pig and had it shipped? I ask because of all the places I found pigs, I didn't find any here in St. John's.:confused:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Usually rescues will not ship. If you find one remotely close to you, you can set up a piggy train. Post around on different forums for help from people in the area between you and the rescue. They can all help with the transportation.

scuffle

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea, thanks! I didn't much like the idea of packing a poor little pig up and putting it on an airplane. I know how much my pigs hated having to go in the car for ten minutes.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
HI, I am from St.Lawrence Newfoundland. A while back I was searching buy and sell newfoundland and there was a pig for adoption, the owners no longer wanted him . I would suggest looking in the classifieds or buy and sell . Please do not choose a breeder or pet store, no matter where you are there are always pigs looking for good homes. They may be a bit harder to find in newfoundland but in time you will find one or even more that need a loving home. If you know or have family in Nova Scotia that are traveling to NL, it would be a great opportunity to get pigs to you , If you do get a pig please get him or her a companion of the same sex . There are a few members from St.Johns that may be able to help you locate a pig/pigs in your area.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
I just searched buy and sell Newfoundland on line.They have no pigs listed at the moment, but keep checking. I also checked Kijiji St.john's and they too have none listed. Keep checking those sites and and maybe leave your name and number with the SPCA, so if anything comes in they can call you.

scuffle

Cavy Slave
You must have read my mind! I just bought a copy of Buy and sell. Unfortunately there are no Guinea Pigs just now, but an absolutely depressing number of puppies and kittens. I have made up my mind to adopt a pig now, rather than purchase. I will just have to be patient and keep looking!

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
If your going to adopt a pig , you should go ahead and get 2 pigs of the same sex. They are heard animlas and do better in pairs or groups. If not he will be one lonley piggy. Are you planning on making a C&C cage?

fairysari

Cavy Slave
You can also check freecycle or craigslist for pigs for adoption. Also you can leave your name with local SPCA, petstores, and vets letting them know that you are looking for pigs.

And don't forget the classifieds on petfinder!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.