Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

5 pigs!

crazy_pig

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I'm Hillary.
I have five guinea pigs....I bought two of them from pet stores (but before you jump all over me listen lol).
Duke, the boy, was giving back to the pet store (petcetera) and that's why i took him...He's a very healthy energetic boy.
I then bought Viola from a place called pet paradise...they have an insane amount of animals there and their small animals aren't 'pet store' animals...its an animal shelter where they only get their animals from people who abandon them and everything. Well the pet store is a little laid back and likes the animals to feel out in the open (and this is the only pet store that i know that does this) and they have a huge room of two huge c&c cages for the guinea pigs (one for female and one for male naturally) thats on a large counter so that they are about waist length so you can get to know the guinea pigs and so that they aren't afraid of you. Well I'm sorta rambling...the point is that at one point someone must of picked up this one guinea pig and dropped him in the girl side because I brought Viola home pregnant.
Now Viola has 3 babies, two girls named Crumpet and Almond, and a boy named Waffles.
Now, they're almost a month and i understand that when they're a month that the boy has to be taken out but whenever I put him with Duke he literally mounts him...I don't know what I'm going to do...I think i'm going to just build him another cage and put him in there...but do you think it would be possible to get Duke to not try to hump him.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Wow, can you tell us where these stores are? That sounds very interesting, I'd love to check it out.

You have to take out baby males at 21 days of age. They can get their mothers and sisters pregnant as early as that, so remove them now.

Humping is a normal dominance behaviour. Duke is just showing the little guy who is boss. Just leave them in there and they will work out their dominance issues.

crazy_pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Well pet paradise is in newmarket on davis drive.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Be sure to completely clean out the boys cage before putting the baby in there. Any smell of the existing boars will make him more territorial.

crazy_pig

Cavy Slave
ok thank you!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Newmarket has a TON of homeless pigs according to pet finder.

Does this pet store sell their own stock as well, or just adopt out shelter animals? They're very unique if it's a purely shelter-animal store.

crazy_pig

Cavy Slave
im not quite sure...when i was there it was all animals that were abandoned

Lharmonie

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I'm Hillary.
I have five guinea pigs....I bought two of them from pet stores (but before you jump all over me listen lol).
Duke, the boy, was giving back to the pet store (petcetera) and that's why i took him...He's a very healthy energetic boy.
I then bought Viola from a place called pet paradise...they have an insane amount of animals there and their small animals aren't 'pet store' animals...its an animal shelter where they only get their animals from people who abandon them and everything. Well the pet store is a little laid back and likes the animals to feel out in the open (and this is the only pet store that i know that does this) and they have a huge room of two huge c&c cages for the guinea pigs (one for female and one for male naturally) thats on a large counter so that they are about waist length so you can get to know the guinea pigs and so that they aren't afraid of you. Well I'm sorta rambling...the point is that at one point someone must of picked up this one guinea pig and dropped him in the girl side because I brought Viola home pregnant.
Now Viola has 3 babies, two girls named Crumpet and Almond, and a boy named Waffles.
Now, they're almost a month and i understand that when they're a month that the boy has to be taken out but whenever I put him with Duke he literally mounts him...I don't know what I'm going to do...I think i'm going to just build him another cage and put him in there...but do you think it would be possible to get Duke to not try to hump him.
I had the same problem with my babies:) My Sow ( scarlet ) had two babies one boy..one girl. so I seperated the baby boy and put him in with my two adult males ( he was 4 weeks old ) and the one older male ( Chuzzle ) didnt bother the baby ( Bramble ) But Puck just wouldnt stop mounting poor bramble !!!It took about 4 days for puck to kind of lay off. He still chases him and mounts him a LOT!!!!!!!!
I just deal with it and so does bramble. I am going to be getting a stand to put my piggies up to waist level so I dont have to bend over to Love them any more.

Lharmonie

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem with my babies:) My Sow ( scarlet ) had two babies one boy..one girl. so I seperated the baby boy and put him in with my two adult males ( he was 4 weeks old ) and the one older male ( Chuzzle ) didnt bother the baby ( Bramble ) But Puck just wouldnt stop mounting poor bramble !!!It took about 4 days for puck to kind of lay off. He still chases him and mounts him a LOT!!!!!!!!
I just deal with it and so does bramble. I am going to be getting a stand to put my piggies up to waist level so I dont have to bend over to Love them any more.
Oh!! I also have five piggies:) Its a lot...but not enough...if that makes any sense:p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.