Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage discontentment

cobalt

Cavy Slave
This is the cage my boys have been in for the past few months and I don't know if I'm too happy with it at the moment. The bottom level, under the upper deck, just seems to dark. My boys seem to enjoy the cover from the upper level as well as going up there. Any suggestions on how to brighten it up or should I just remove the upper level and keep petitioning my wife to make it another grid longer? By the way, my wife is a big fan of the upper level.

New Cage Pic

Thanks!

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
I know it sounds silly but couldn't you get some white cloroplast? That will make it look brighter. If they are using the upper level then it's a shame to remove it.

Or maybe sign companies sell a sort of clear cloroplast?, at least, not an opaque one? You could use this for the upper level?

cobalt

Cavy Slave
I hadn't considered white coroplast. Though, that would brighten up the lower level I bet. I thought about using a "clear" coroplast on top, but figured since it would have at least some kind of bedding on top of it that it would still end up being more or less opaque still.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I moved my boys' cage in front of a draft free window with thin fabric over the windows and it has brightend it up quite a bit. Kero who lives in the bottom half is very happy with this improvement and spends a good portion of his day basking in his new found sun.

Then again he also gets a nice view of the girls cage now so that may also be why we are seeing more of him. ;)

Another thing you could do is use rope lights on the outside of the bottom level. Or put a short dim lamp next to the cage.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
I hadn't considered white coroplast. Though, that would brighten up the lower level I bet. I thought about using a "clear" coroplast on top, but figured since it would have at least some kind of bedding on top of it that it would still end up being more or less opaque still.

Oh yes, sorry I totally forgot about bedding! silly me

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.