Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male rabbit building nest?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Why would my neutered, healthy, male rabbit have built a nest looking thing. He spent all day (a few days ago) tearing up newspaper and carrying it into his cage. He piled it all into his cage litterbox (which he doesn't use). He even found a plastic grocery bag and put that in there along with one of his small stuffed animals. In the end he did a really good job! No hair plucking/lining like a female would do though.

After he made it he was done. Didn't go in it and didn't work on it anymore.

So, is this normal for a male to make a nest? I don't think I've ever heard of it. I am still planning to get him a friend. I have been hoping that a desperate rescue would come my way to rehab and intro but so far nothing. I'm trying to wait out hurricane season before actively adopting.

Is he lonely? If he is getting desperate for a "mate" I don't want to deny him and will try to adopt sooner even though it makes me nervous about having to evacuate.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking it was some sort of game for him, just something fun to do. Even though males in the wild don't usually dig the burrows or make the nests, maybe they still have some instinct for it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
He is a "carrier" in that he loves to shred newspaper and cary it around in his mouth. I had just never seen him so determined to shred so much and put it all in one place.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Wild guess - would the neutering have anything to do with it? I.E. removing some of the testosterone to reveal more maternal oestrogen, which was lurking underneath all along, but became dominant after the op., causing nesting instinct???

Honestly haven't got a clue (can you tell ;)), but thought would drop in vague posserchancity anyway...

naturestee

Cavy Slave
I agree with Bunnyluv17. I'm thinking that it's just something he likes to do. I know someone else who has a neutered male that sometimes builds nests. He's also a single bunny, but it's not for lack of trying. He acts extremely viscious to all rabbits he's been introduced to so far and is very possisive of his human mom. The nesting comes and goes and doesn't seem as frenzied as that of unspayed females that build nests during false pregnancies.

If you are interested in adopting, I know someone who knows someone (lol) that has a rabbit rescue in Baton Rouge.
https://www.magichappensrescue.com/

Personally, I'm in love with these two!
(broken link removed)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Yup, I've been drooling over the buns at Magic Happens. I've talked to the rescue owner, Wendy, before when I was trying to export a couple of Katrina Rescue buns.

I've also been in touch with June Booth of the New Orleans House Rabbit rescue. While she has no buns, last I talked to her, as she evacuated them all to Alabama EARS and a few other HR rescues she knows of a few in foster.

There are rabbits all over around here to rescue. I have just been hoping for one I can pull and rescue/rehab myself. he ones in rescues are safe and I didn't want to be hasty and have to turn away a rabbit that was in true danger. It seems though that whatever animals that were left over after Katrina are probably dead by now.

I am feeling pretty secure again. e are half way through August and there is no real tropical activity. This year has been light as far as hurricanes go and I think it's safe for me to actively search for a new animal to bring into the house.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Actually, I had a buck, Jake, that was a hoarder. He started about a year and a half after his neuter just "collecting" things. He loved socks, the stinkier the better. I began to see it more as hoarding and less as nesting over time of watching the behavior and the fact that he had many cashes not just one. At the time no one I spoke with had ever encountered anything like my little guy. He once stole and unwound a skein of yarn and hid it under the futon with a stash of newly heisted socks. After we had him euthenized (at 9 he lost the use of his rear legs and became increasingly depresessed) I would still find secret stashes of his and it just put a smile on my face everytime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.