Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from us and our 4 owners!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone...
We are Tim & Angie. We're regulars on GuineaLynx (where we found out about this site).

We live in Ohio and belong to 4 piggies:

Petey and Rufus are our two little soldiers that we took in on March 15th from a lady who could not take care of them anymore (due to her health problems), and she didn't have anyone willing to care for them during hospital stays.

They were being kept in a small, rusted, metal cage on cedar bedding. They were being fed junky Hartz "food" that looked like mostly bird seed. They had no hay at all, and the only time they had fresh veggies was when the lady had a salad. Since we have had them, Petey has gained 3 ounces, and Rufus has gained a whopping 7 ounces (so far)!

She wasn't abusive to them, though. You could tell she really liked them, but she didn't know anything about taking care of them the proper way (she took them in from another lady who didn't have time to take care of them because she "worked all day and went to bars all night").

Ruby is our little queen. She's approx. 7 months old. She was pet store "merchandise" bought for kids who didn't want a guinea pig, they wanted an iguana. That's ok, because she is very much wanted here. She's a sweet, gentle, little lady. She has owned us since February 18th.

TeeJay is the princess. She's 3 1/2 months old. She was the little "surprise package" that came with Ruby. A pregnant pet store pig - go figure. She was actually a wonderful, unexpected gift because we were looking for a female companion for Ruby when we started feeling strange belly movements and decided to wait and see if our suspicions were confirmed.

Sure enough, Ruby herself (being the independant little cuss that she is) provided her own female companion! On April 8th, she had one female pup, that's it. We were so worried about her and the "babies" during the pregnancy. Then, when she had only the single, 10.1 ounce whopper of a pup, we almost fainted from the fact that she had such a high risk pregnancy, to boot!

All are healthy, happy, ornery, and loved beyond belief, though. So, we're very thankful that it all worked out alright.

They are all in C&C cages (2x5 for the guys - which we call the barracks, and a 2x4 castle for the queen and the princess), on fleece bedding.

We lost our little Simon on February 4th to a URI (and a very bad exotics "expert" vet). We miss him terribly and a day doesn't go by that we're not reminded of him, in some way. He was such a lovable little character. But, because of him, we have learned so much and continue to study, read, and research to be able to provide the best possible care for our current, and future, slave-drivers.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about Simon. You'll fit in great here.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Glad you came to our group. Look forward to pigtures.

HarrysDad

Cavy Slave
Hello. Are your new adoptees accepting the veggies you are now giving them? When Harry first arrived he had never had veggies or hay before and didn't know what they were. His younger cage brother taught him how good they were. He would sit and watch the baby eat. Then in a few days He approached while the little guy had a long piece of hay in his mouth slurping away.

Well, Old Harry took hold of the other end and they worked their way up to the middle of the piece of hay; much to the annoyance of the little fellow. So I sat there next to them and hand fed Harry piece after piece of hay until he was satiated.

When I think about Harry and the veggies and the baby teaching him that they were good to eat I always wonder how other adult adoptees adjust to a healthy diet.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about Simon. You'll fit in great here.

Thank you for the friendly welcome. This website has a lot of great information, so we'll probably be doing more reading than posting, at first.

Glad you came to our group. Look forward to pigtures.

Pigtures on the way, just have to make sure we read up on how to do it right. Don't want to get into hot water right of the bat!

Hello. Are your new adoptees accepting the veggies you are now giving them?

Boy, are they ever! They were in piggy heaven when they started getting veggies not only everyday, but three times a day! They took right to the hay also. The plain pellets were not too popular, compared to the junk food they were used to, so we had to wean them off of them while gradually increasing the pellets. That only took about a week, though.

Thank you all for your replies. We look forward to being a part of the community!

twinkies

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your piggies sound very lucky to have found you. Can't wait to see some pigtures.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Pigtures of the clan:

Pretty little Ruby:
(broken link removed)

Our big boy, Rufus:
(broken link removed)

The baby of the house, TeeJay:
(broken link removed)

Petey's Mick Jagger lips (he knows we're a sucker for them too!):
(broken link removed)

Petey the panda:
(broken link removed)

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Ooo! Piggy lips! TeeJay is too cute. And I love Petey's colors. A lovely bunch you have.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Thank you PiggieMom! We can't imagine life without them now.

That view of Petey's lips is what I see when I look into their room from the kitchen. I have to be careful because he knows how to work me, and melt my heart, to the point where I'll give in on an extra treat!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
They are beautiful! Welcome!!!!!It sounds as though you will fit in perfectly here. Good for you that you made some successful rescues!!! Now there is a lot of lucky pigs. I love the coloring on Petey.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Oh my those guys can wrap themselves around your heart for sure!

C&K

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh! They are all very cute pigs!

I can sure tell that you love them!
Welcome to GPC!

twinkies

Cavy Slave
Very adorable piggies, especially Petey! I love his coloring and those piggy lips. They are all just so adorable!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Awww, they're all so cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.