Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need second level / ramp help!

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I have built a second level on to my 2x4 C&C cage. We made a nice sturdy ramp and bought new hidey houses and other things to put up there. The only problem is I can't get them to use it! I put them up there while I clean and they are fine, they seem to enjoy it. They go down the ramp just fine. But they won't go up there on their own. Any Suggestions?

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
You can try keeping their food up there. Mine didn't use their second level until I made it a hay loft.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Yep - put the food there. That worked for our guys!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Put one on the top, and the others on the bottom. They will realise someone's missing and use the ramp to find them.

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
Should I put their regular food up there, or do you just put the veggies and hay? Originally I wanted to keep the food dishes up there, but I want to make sure they can get to it.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Put everything up there, then make a trail of hay, veggies and pellets up the ramp. They'll figure it out.

JennG

Cavy Slave
That's what I've done as well. The girls' hay, pellets, veggie/fruits dishes and 2 water bottles are on the 2nd floor. If you put them up there with the food, they'll figure it out. Mine come running up the ramp when they know it's veggie time even Angel who's blind. When I revise the cage, I usually "show" her the ramp by leading her with a piece of cilantro (since it's smell is pretty strong). She gets it in one take.

PS I also have 2 waterbottles on the main level of the cage as well.

Merry

Cavy Slave
When I added a second level for my girls, I put their hay up there along with a favorite pigloo, and a trail of cilantro along the ramp floor. They figured out how to get up and down in about fifteen minutes, and now they hang out up there just about as much as they do downstairs. :) Good luck with your piggies. I'm sure they'll figure it out before long!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.