Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Drafts and Pigs

roisred

Cavy Slave
It's summer here on the East Coast, and my lovely but tiny apartment does not have air conditioning. As a result, I have to have a fan in my bedroom, which is also where my pigs have their cage. I have angled the fan so it does not blow directly on the cage, but I'm still worried about the possiblity of drafts. I don't feel anything when I stand next to the cage, but I wasnted to ask if it was alright to have a fan in a room with pigs, and, if not, what alternatives there might be that would keep all of us cool?

Thanks!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
They should be fine as long as the fan isn't blowing directly on the cage. I don't have air either. My pigs really like it when I put frozen water bottles in their cage. I put them wrapped in a thin kitchen towel in their hiddey houses, so they houses are cooled off. I also fill a gallon sized ziplock bag half way with water, lay it flat in the freezer and make them a frozen water bed and wrap that with a towel. They love to lay on those. I also have little marble slates in there to lay on. I swear my pigs keep cooler than I do.

Disney Pigs

Cavy Slave
I've heard bricks work to keep them cool. Also you can get a soda bottle(12 or 20 oz size) fill with water and freeze. That way you can give them something cold to lay with and when it turns to water, refreeze it again. That trick works with bunnies too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.