Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from my Cavies and I

New2CavyLife

Cavy Slave
Let me first start off by saying that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this website and have learned quite a bit in the past few days! I have had cavies in the past, but now I'm getting more into them. The Thursday before Good Friday, I bought my precious Jenny Pig. Unbeknownst to me she was pregnant. I didn't first discover this until about a week ago. And lo and behold, the miracle of cavy birth occured on Saturday morning! Jenny had 3 precious little babies. I am terribly excited that Jenny and her babies will be part of my family. I'm also looking at adopting a piggie named Madeline from a rescue place here in town. I'm really looking to meet fellow "cavy slaves" in the Austin area to socialize with. So, if there are any cavy parents here in the Austin area (I know you exist), please do not hesitate to respond!

Welcome to the forum. This is partly why we discourage buying pets but I'm sure you're aware of it now and that's why you are considering adopting. Many times the petshops/stores missex the piggies and you get more than you were bargaining for. But anyways, I hope you learn alot on here. I have and I continue to. I'm sure you'll have lots of questions about your babies. The #1 thing to remember is to remove any boy babies away from mom and sister(s) at 3 weeks of age to prevent backbreeding. Yep, they will impregnate mom and sister(s). You can find out more about sexing these cuties at cavycages home page. Good luck and please remember to post pictures.

I didn't buy her at a traditional pet store (i.e. PetsMart/Petco), I was in an exotic pet store one day looking at all the creepy crawlies (lizards, snakes, spiders) and I spotted a bunch of "feeder" guinea pigs. I fell in love with her immediately and there was no way I was going to leave her there for someone to buy her as food for their snake. That's why I bought her from this "petstore".

New2CavyLife said:
...I spotted a bunch of "feeder" guinea pigs.

This just made me cringe. I know that we're all about not purchasing from the petstores but I'm so glad you got her. I probably would've done the same thing. That's so scary to know that they will sell the piggies as feeder pigs. :weepy:

I was about to say this is probably worse than the regular petstores. Not only do they already KNOW that in most cases, these pigs will be snake food, but they don't have to stock the supplies for them. It's like a snake owner supermarket. Once those pigs are sold, I'm sure they will be getting more from another breeder. Heck, this is even a place for the breeders to dump all of their rejects that they can't sell to a regular petstore.

PM, I hope I never walk into a place like that. My hubby would leave when I came home with all the "feeder piggies." I'm just speechless.

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you will be adopting a guinea pig this time around.

Ditto to what everybody else said.

Welcome to the forums! You'll learn so much around here. It's great that you will be adopting a piggy soon.

I didn't think such "feeder" places existed. Urgh. Poor animals.

We are so happy you joined us. What a story you have. Because of the situation in which you bought Jenny Pig, did you happen to take her for a check up? Many times because they are feeder pigs, (God I didn't want to type that), they are unhealthy. Just wondering. What a happy ending for your little family.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.