Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help Me Please

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
O.K. so I'm trying to make ramps....and I've seen people who bent their grids into a U shape and then attached a strip of choroplast with some sort of material/carpet for traction. I tried to bend mine into a U shape and all I have to say is "What are you people? Hercules?" cause I couldn't budge it! How in the heck did you get it to bend so perfectly into the U? Someone please fill me in cause I'm out of ideas. I got it bent just a little and started jumping up and down on it to get it to bend more, to no avail. Help?:melodrama

And as an added bonus, after I bent mine (I actually ziptied two bent grids to make my ramp together) I poked holes in some extra coroplast to put over the grids. And then I added a rag rug I got from Walmart for under a buck. I used binder clips to hold the rug onto the ramp. That way I can take it off and wash the rug when the girls decide to do their business on it. Good luck.

I used one of things you put at the end of a rain gutter and put carpet on it so they dont slip. I found mine at lowes for about 6 bucks .

My grids are L shaped not U. Maybe that will help. I used my foot!

Yes I used my foot and a good hard shoe to bend my grids. When you bend it make sure to bend the grid so the bars are on the outside, otherwise it's more likely to break which mine did the first try around. I use the U shape because of Angel (she's my special needs piggie and completely blind). I need to make sure she's safe.

I used 6 mm coroplast and scored it on both edges of the "ramp" to make the sides. I than put outdoor carpet over the coroplast and screwed it on and cut the ends off the backside so the pigs would not get hurt. My ramp it attached to the upstairs level with eyelet screws so the whole ramp can be removed when I clean or if the carpet needs to be replaced.
Maybe this will help . ..

Help Me Please

My guys wouldn't use that type of ramp. I use irrigation tubing and zip tie it to the side of the cage to keep it still. My guys love it. Maybe because it's enclosed? Who knows.

I've thought about using that ferret plastic tubing stuff. Might not be a bad idea as well. I just can't bend those grids. Maybe my grids are super strong or something. Wishful thinking. My coroplast is too thin to use as well. My fat piggies would bend it. The ferret tubes at petsmart in my area look too small though. I don't think my guys would fit in them. I might order fatter ones online. The ones in the pictures of them on this site look larger. Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Just make sure that the tube opening is at least 5 inches. Don't meassure from the outside to outside either, meassure the width of the hole not the width of the tube. I hope that makes sense. Good luck (I had my fiance bend mine)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.