Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can you use the Cage for Minni lop rabbit and Cavies with a divider?

cindylou

Cavy Slave
So can you? or do you get problems?

Please Help....

You don't ever want to directly house guinea pigs and rabbits. How large is the cage though? you would need something rather huge to have room for both with a divider down the middle. How many pigs do you have?

Our rescue makes a two story cage for buns and pigs. The bottom is a 2x4 or so, and two grids tall, and then the top goes up for another grid to make a pig cage on top of the bunnies. So they're seperate, but the cages are more manageable.

That sounds like what I was going to suggest Jennicat. :) If you could still get us information about what your current cage set up is and how many cavies you have cindylou, that would be great.

The rabbit is a female mini lop and the pigs are older boys. I have traditional cages; one needs to be replaced. It seems it would be easier to maintain with the colorplast cages and put them all closer for socialization. We let the rabbit roam around most mornings for about 30 minutes (she also uses a litter box) in the playroom with a close eye. I am trying to make the cleaning situation more convenient and give more comfort for the critters.

Last edited:
I would also use dividers between the two male pigs and a divider between the rabbit using a 27 x 71 cage. Also, does the urine leak out between the colorplast corners?

Rabbits can carry a bacteria that causes respiratory disease in guinea pigs, so it would be best for your piggies to minimise contact between them. Maybe you could use solid dividers instead of grids? Good luck with making them all a new house.

C&C cages do work fine for rabbits but need to be fairly large and preferably with multiple levels.
It's rare for urine to leak out the corners unless you don't cut it very even and then don't have enough bedding. The bedding should soak up all the urine and be replaced if it gets saturated. On a few of my first cages where I messed up cutting them I put a drop or line of aquarium silicone on any cracks or corners. I've also used it for putting sides on sections of cage that were open such as to divide a cage into 2 or to seperate an L shape into 2 individual cages. Aquarium silicone is nontoxic once dry and completely waterproof so it works well for patching c&c cages.

I would also use dividers between the two male pigs

Why don't you keep your two male pigs together?

Is the rabbit alone? Because rabbits, like guinea pigs are social animals and can get lonely... maybe she needs a friend?

The male rabbits used to fight when I put them together. Although it has been some time since they were together... I think it is best I keep it that way just in case there is a fight. I made my cage with dividers for all three of the animals and they are doing great! Especially with having so much more room. The rabbit has more of a divider next to one of the piggies. Thanks for all of your advice. I can't believe how reasonable it was to make the cage and and how nice they look!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.