Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

coroplast side height

carson

Cavy Slave
My son and I have decided to use pine shavings for bedding. What is a reasonable height for the coroplast sides of the bottom pan? We will have our first pig in a week or so. My son is so excited, he can hardly wait. I have to admit, I'm a little excited myself.

This site has prevented us from making a lot of mistakes, the CC playpen cage is brilliant. We got a book on guinea pigs and thought we were ready-sure am glad I found this site.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you're using shavings, make the sides at least 6 inches high. If the cage is against the wall, you might want to make the back wall of the coroplast higher to help prevent shavings from going behind the cage where it will be more difficult to get to them. With pine shavings, try and find packages that say kiln-dried or heat-dried. I found kiln-dried pine at Southern States (a farm supply store). If you can not find kiln or heat-dried pine, get a large box to dump the pine in and let it air out for several days, stirring it around often, to get rid of some of a lot of the odor. The smell from the pine is really bad for guinea pig lungs and can cause respiratory problems.

carson

Cavy Slave
Thank you. Kiln dried it is.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I did the 6" sides with the back being about 10". After a week I trimmed the front down so I could see the pigs better. 4" for the front works well too. So what you have a few shavings?! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.