Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Where to find bedding?

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I was looking into what bedding available in Australia is suitable for guinea pigs. So far ive got polar fleece and pine shavings. What other beddings are there and where do you purchase them from?

Thankyou for reading and any information

Therse a bedding called eco litter. I'm not sure about price but it should be sold in most commercial petshops as cat litter, small animal litter, bird litter or reptile litter. It is fawn brown pellets and is made of pine or hard wood.

Breeders Choice Cat Litter is a recycled newspaper cat litter that feel wonderful and is neat, it dosn't spray anywhere and works perfectly. It's sold everywhere, Woolworths stocks small bags of it as does every pet store I've been too. Only downside is price. A $20 bag does about a 2x6-2x8 cage.

Lucerne Chaff- If you mix it with Breeders choice it helps cut down the price, just make sure you still give them hay in a hay rack because it can be soiled and I doubt pigs like eating soiled hay

Those are the ones I know off as well as the shavings and fleece.

A word to the wise, if you get shavings get the Breeders Choice brand. It's less dusty and all around nicer then the other brands.

Emma

please note- when I say Breeders Choice it is simply the brand name.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
There use to also be a brand named "back 2 nature" which is a recycled paper bedding for guinea pigs, smalls animals or reptiles. That was really good, until our local petwarehouse said they're not stocking it anymore! So now i use "Breeders Choice" which is similar to back 2 nature.

Where i buy my bedding and hay from is usually "Pet Warehouse" Theres one in Kogarah, and also one in Alexandria near the city.

I tried shavings at one point, its a lot more cheaper, but it was just too messy, and gets caught in long hair cavies, and i kept worrying about them getting impaction from it!

Thankyou so much all :)

I might try the breeders choice bedding combined with polar fleece. Would that be okay or would it be all lumpy?

I have a petbarn near me so I will ring and see if they have some in stock.

Thankyou again

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Woolworths also stocks small bags of breeders choice if you just want to have a test run.

Emma

Hi, i live in Australia too, i have found that my previous guinea pigs have enjoyed hay and yesterdays newspaper, im not sure but they didn't seem to mind it.:) good luck!

Hey Fluffball, fleece with breeders choice bedding, it might stick a lot to your fleece!! Currently I'm trying Sherpa on top of the bedding, because the back of Sherpa doesnt seem to attract bedding as much! Also I read in GL that Sherpa seems to allow water to slip through to the bottom very quickly, and the top stays very dry!
It looks and feels very much the same stuff as the pet rug for dogs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.