Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing, Dandruff and concerns?

Inrun

Cavy Slave
My pigs, bless them, were in need of a bath. I'd had them since October, and they were becoming smelly little girls. So, being a dutiful mother, I bathed them. They were dried completely and then stuck back into their cage (I bathed them seperately so that I could properly dry them both without having to worry). They survived the bath and blow drier fine (they're so brave), but now Sushi my little black and cream girl has quite a bit of dandruff. She's had a couple flakes now and then, but nothing to this extreme. Could this just be dry skin caused by the bath?
Fugu my other girl has no signs of dandruff, so is it possible that Sushis just more sensative then Fugu is to bathing?
Lethbridge (where I live) has a very dry climate so could that also be a cause? I'm just concerned.

Amber23

Cavy Slave
What kind of shampoo did you use to bath them in?

Inrun

Cavy Slave
Bunny Bath.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If it's just a couple flakes, it's probably just dry skin. Keep a look out for things like loss of fur and itching though.

If you are referring to Four Paws Bunny Bath, I use that too and have never had a problem with it. It's one of the most safest shampoos to use on piggies.

Inrun

Cavy Slave
That would be the shampoo Ly. I didn't wash their heads/shoulders really (just their butts and tummys, since thats whats so low to the ground), and thats the area on Sushi that the dandruff is originating in.
I'm wondering if it was a mistake on my part and I just didn't rinse well enough (Could've sworn I had though, she wasn't sudsing anymore, and I was thorogh). Gah! Now i'm second guessing myself.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Like I said earlier, unless you start noticing hairloss, a lot of scratching or a whole lot of dandruff, I wouldn't be concerned.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I agree. I have three texels and one has a lot more dandriff than the other two. It is perfectly normal according to my vet :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.