Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage question?

Nicole16

Cavy Slave
I'm getting two(2) Cavys tonight,They are a little over 3 weeks old,And I have a 15" by 10" cage,is that a good size for them right now?

I know I will have to get a bigger cage as they grow,But is it ok?

Please help!!

*Nicole*lol

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
That is absolutely too small for them. My hamster lives in a cage more than twice that size. Babies or not, we recommend nothing smaller than 30"X36" for 2 guinea pigs and preferrably larger than that. Please read the homepage for this forum, https://www.guineapigcages.com for information on size and how to build a very inexpensive cage for your pigs.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
That's only about 1sq ft. There is no animal that would live comfortably in that size. My hamsters just passed away but their cage was about 3' x1'. Babies are hyper and like to run all over the place. Size of the guinea pig has nothing to do with it and if anything they need more space than adults. A 2x4 cage which is 28" x 56" if you use zip ties instead of connectors is the recommended size for 2 guinea pigs to get along and stay in good physical health. Not to mention mental health because they'll actually have space to themselves to play, run, and popcorn around. A 2x3(28"x 42") is the absolute minimum size listed on this site. You should go to the homepage of this site www.guineapigcages.com and read more about guinea pig housing requirements.

bromers

Cavy Slave
Way to small, and babies are very hyper so they will want to run EVERYWHERE. Can you not build a cc cage for them? Post were you live and I am sure we can help you find your supplies cc cages are very cheap to buy.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
My litter box is larger than that I believe. If you have a store bought cage it sounds like the Super Pet starter one that I use to transport them to the vet. It is about the size of my son's shoe boxes.

Nicole16

Cavy Slave
bromers said:
Way to small, and babies are very hyper so they will want to run EVERYWHERE. Can you not build a cc cage for them? Post were you live and I am sure we can help you find your supplies cc cages are very cheap to buy.

I live in Tennessee,

*Nicole*lol

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you go to the top of the page, click "Home", and look on the left side of the page, there are links to where you can find materials to build a cage. I sincerely hope you're going to build a new cage. If the one you have is really 10"X15", it isn't big enough for 1 pig much less 2.

twinkies

Cavy Slave
CHeck your local Walmart and Target stores. If you can not find them there, look at their online stores or on ebay. There are plenty of places to get the right cage for them.

Nicole16

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
If you go to the top of the page, click "Home", and look on the left side of the page, there are links to where you can find materials to build a cage. I sincerely hope you're going to build a new cage. If the one you have is really 10"X15", it isn't big enough for 1 pig much less 2.

I was just making notes of the cage making page,I will get the stuff to make one,As soon as I can!!

*Nicole*lol

aqh88

Cavy Slave
There's also a find materials link on the side of the homepage. You can check if anyone else in your area has posted where they found the cubes or coroplast.

Nicole16

Cavy Slave
Okay,Thanks everyone!!!

*Nicole*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.