Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Safe wild plants

muffin

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have a list of safe UK wild plants?

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I think what the list calls 'cleavers' we call 'sticky willow'. Is clover really safe? I'm sure I read that it was poisonous. Have anyone's pigs tried to eat moss whilst on grass? I'm worried mine might!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Mine don't touch the moss. Clover is fine and they enjoy it.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Cool, thanks.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
My piggies love nothing more than a romp about on the grass, when it's warm enough, and mine has plenty moss! The pigsters don't bother with the moss (loads of yummy grass to munch!) They also enjoy clover - though have only fed in small quantities, as don't have too much to give! Have always given dandelions in moderation - as believed it to be a diuretic, overworking the kidneys, but see it raved about here. Let me know...

Never tried ''sticky willy'' (how unrefined!) /cleavers - though have plenty of it. Will give it a go.

Would be wary of offering oxalis as there are loads of cultivated varieties and not sure all are safe. Infact 'wood sorrel' in the UK has white flowers not yellow as in the picture. Have tried it myself, and it is pleasantly sharp. Would still steer clear for my piggies.
Avoid anything that grows from a bulb. IF IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT!!!

Would also welcome a list of safe UK wild plants.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Do you know if guinea can eat apple tree leaves or any other kinds of leaves?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I know they can safely nibble on apple tree logs/twigs - but couldn't comment on the leaves. What other kind of leaves were you thinking?...

A definite 'no' to beech, bindweed, bluebell, box, buttercup, elder, foxglove, ivy, laburnum, oak, potato, privet, rhubarb and yew leaves. In no way a complete list! ( Better to find out what they can eat!) :) Will see what I can find out...

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks jarbax. I read somewhere that they can eat 'the leaves of all deciduous trees', but decided to ignore that since we can't! I was wondering mainly about the apple leaves because they can eat the wood and I thought it would make a nice change for them. But I think since they can't eat the leaves of strawberry plants I'll just stick to grass and the safe wild plants I know of! Definitely wouldn't try anything new unless someone had been safely feeding it for a while!

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
There is a list of herbs (some suitable for general feeding, others only in limited quantities or in specific situations) at
(broken link removed)
- many of these are wild or found as "weeds" in a typical garden.

I've tried lemon balm (which self seeds all over the garden) and one or two very young comfrey leaves because we also have that in abundance - both of those have been very successful.
The piggies aren't too keen on cleaver though, which is a pity because it's trying to take over the garden.

GEMMACOOPS

Cavy Slave
Do you know if they can eat rocket?

sgprescue

Cavy Slave
GEMMACOOPS said:
Do you know if they can eat rocket?

Yes rocket is safe for them to eat :D

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys, hee hee, when I first got my piggies, my mum donated them a bag of salad mix (no iceberg), and I picked out all the rocket because I thought it would be too peppery for them!

GEMMACOOPS

Cavy Slave
they didnt like it anyway.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Nope - mine didn't like rocket either! All the more for me! :D

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Ohh.. mine loved the rocket I brought for them on Sunday. Shame though, it's rather expensive; I would have to buy a packet a day for my 9piggies and 2 rabbits.

GEMMACOOPS

Cavy Slave
ive planted my own herb garden:) ive got coriander, parsley, basil and mint. i'll havr to wait a while for them to grow though!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Rachy - rocket seed isn't expensive to buy - and it's easy to grow! Unfortunately the slugs and snails in my garden like it as much as your guinea pigs! Growing your own is a really good idea - if you've got a garden/ room in your garden! (And you know it's not been sprayed with all kinds of nasty chemicals!)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Muffin, Lyandpigs has posted in a thread by motosama in cavy chat titled 'Outdoor foods' with a list of safe forage foods. Think this exactly what you (and I) were looking for! (Sorry - don't know how to do the link to that thread, or I would!).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.