Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Help! I need tips on making my piggies feel safe and secure

piggie mummy

Cavy Slave
Hi has anyone got tips on how to make 2 guinea pigs, which I'm getting from a shelter after being mistreated, feel safe and secure in traveling a hour car ride and when they move into their new home?

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
A small secure box or pet carrier, with fleece or something in there to let them hide would be a good idea. I've heard of piggies getting loose in a car and going underneath the break pedal, so be very carefull. Since they are bonded sisters(I think that's the ones your talking about?) you can put them in the same carrier.

piggie mummy

Cavy Slave
They are the sisters, thanks. I have my dad comng to make sure they don't wobble aund in the car!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put them in a cardboard box with high sides, towels in the bottom, wet veggies, and hay, and drape a towel over it. Or if you've got a cat or dog carrier with a door, do the same thing with it, including the towel over it -- you don't want them to get overheated if they're on the sunny side of the car. No water bottles in the car -- they'll just leak all over the place.

They're not going to feel secure on their first car ride -- they'll be terrified, and there's not really anything you can do about it except be sure they've got everything they need and that they've got something over their heads.

piggie mummy

Cavy Slave
bpatters thakyou very much for your help. I am going to be very worried for them. What can i do to help them calm down once they are in their cage? shall I put them in and leave them or take them out for cuddle? or are there other options?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't pick them up for a few days, but I'd have my hands in the cage as often as possible, offering them tidbits to eat (even if they don't take them). Cut holes in the end of a shoebox, put tidbits in there, and gently shoo them in. After a few days, you can lift them out of the cage while they're in the box -- it's much less traumatic for them than trying to trap them in the corner of the cage to get them out. You'll have to change the shoebox often, though, as they'll pee and poop in it.

After they start poking their heads out and moving around, you can pick them up (via the box) on a regular basis. When you do, have treats for them to eat while they're on your lap -- it can even be something from their regular supper. The key to taming them is gentleness, patience, and a lot​ of yummy treats.

piggie mummy

Cavy Slave
Great thanks, will def give the shoe box a go. what are the best treats?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.