Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The doctor is in!!!!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Tomorrow I will be driving to Jacksonville, FL to get our very first boar. He belongs to a young lady who I met on this forum who can't keep him as well as she wants. We have been emailing for about 3 months now and she had asked me to be his godmother. He name is Doolittle and we will keep that name. I called my vet and we have an appointment for a general check up on Tuesday afternoon. Until then he will be in the Super Pet XL cage in here. I am going to build him an apartment that will run along side the girl's cage. It will be about a 2 x 4 with a 1 by top story. He is quite a character and we are excited. I will post pigtures tomorrow when I get him back home.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Yeah! I can't wait to see him. I love the name Doolittle.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Thanks Percy's Mom! Here is what I have prepared for him. This will do until the vet sees him on Tuesday and gives me a clean bill of health and then he can go to his apartment. We will build that tonight.
I got out my Super Pet XL and fixed it up. I put all the food and water in one area to try to give him as much free space as possible. I bought him a teddy last week and also put in a cushy dog toy to rest his ehad on. I will give him a pigloo for nights only as it would take away too much floor space. What do you all think? Did I forget anything or should I take anything out? I have towels and fleece in it.
DSCF1321.jpg

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
Is that a wheel in the corner? If it is you need to take it out, they risk spinal injuries.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
No it is a hay thing. sorry for the poor shot. Here are better ones:
His cushy stuff
DSCF1323.jpg

His kitchen and potty
DSCF1322.jpg

twinkies

Cavy Slave
Looks nice and comfy. Will Doolittle be all alone when you get him next to the girls?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Are you planning on having him neutered?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Doolittle will share grids with the girls. I will not risk having him neutered. It would just kill me if something happened to him. I recently joined a board for boar owners and from everything I read, he will be just peachy playing with the girls between the grids. Many times folks can't find a playmate for a boar and they do great living next to another so he will do that with the girls.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
How old is Doolittle? From what I know of the procedure (which admittedly isn't much), if you have a good vet, and your boar isn't too old, it usually goes pretty smoothly.

I just can't imagine being happy if the only contact that I could get with someone of my same species was through a grid wall.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Well at the moment is is with nobody at all. There are many times people try to pair up boars and they don't get along so side by side is what works. Doolittle is maybe 3. Percy's Mom -it just terrifies me to think he could die from the surgery and it is not recommended if not necessary. His options are to stay with a girl who can't give him what he needs and she is moving and was going to give him to her Dad who knows even less about GPs but likes him, or come to our home and live like a king minus 'getting his women' whenever he wants.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I agree that he will definitely be in a better place living with you even if his only contact with the girls is through a grid. It's just something to think about. He's in the prime of his piggy life and I'm assuming in good health. There is also the plus side of a possibility of less impaction when he gets older.

Ultimately, it's your decision, but there are a lot of factors to consider. As much as we like to trust the word of people on boards and forums, you might want to discuss this one with your veterinarian as well.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I have been doing much thinking and reading on cavy spirit. At his visit on Tuesday I will ask the vet many questions which of course include his track record on cavy neutering! This vet is the senior partner of this clinic. I have not seen him before but his reputation in Savannah is flawless and he is much loved. The vet I saw last year when Pol had mites is now with another clinic and to see her I know the price would be way up compared to the original clinic she was in which is where I am going Tuesday. Gee how confused are you now? LOL Dr. Bink is the vet for cavies that is why I couldn't get in tomorrow because the other vets in the clinic don't see them. I don't know if Doolittle was ever used for breeding. I really don't think so. I feel we are dealing with a typical case of a boar whose owners got bored with him. I will talk about all of this tomorrow when I go get him. Yes there is so much to consider. Is it ever easy? NOPE----!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Always always lots of decisions to be made. Whatever you and your vet decide, I'm sure Doolittle will have a wonderful home and won't need worry where he's living out the rest of his days.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
It is just awful because I have a knot in my stomach thinking about surgery and then I know about companionship too! Oh Lord. Another course is down the road to get a boar but again there are no guarantees about friendship. Day by day is what we shall do.

JenniferT

Cavy Slave
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We just had a baby a couple of days ago so I know how exciting it is to met new family members. I will look forward to your pictures!:cheerful:

JennG

Cavy Slave
Congrats! I can't wait to see pics of your new baby.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I am up early and very excited. I worked on Doolittle's apartment last night. Tomorrow I will cut the coro and put on a second story that will connect to the girl's hay loft. Last night Jeff mentioned about getting hin a friend! I almost croaked. Anyhow that will come in time maybe. I will see how he is and go from there. Somewhere on this forum I read yesterday about two best friend boars who fought everytime the girls went ito heat. I have no place to put a boar only cage except where it is so there can be no plan B. Here is what I have done so far on his cage. It is on a 24 x 48 inch table. I put a grid bottom because the cage hangs over the sides of the table a bit. Tonight I will send pigtures!! Yeah
DSCF1330.jpg

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Good luck Judy! Drive safe.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
That is true that many boars will fight if they are housed together and there are females around. You honestly as scary as it is would be best to have him neutered. Also know that more than likely if he is neutered and living with your girls, he will be the low man and constantly be bossed around and squirted. My poor Boris deals with a lot of abuse from his three women and never seems to be able to get "lucky" :(

Be careful driving and we cannot wait to see him :)

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Be safe Judy! Looking forward to pigtures when you bring the little man home safe and sound.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.