Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh no! Eleanor's nail

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I was just holding Eleanor, and noticed something wrong with her nail. It almost looked like her nail got caught in something and was pulled. It wasn't bleeding, but there was dried blood around it, and it looked like more of this nail was exposed than others. She doesn't seem to be in any pain from it, and I don't remember her ever shrieking loudly when she might have done this. What should I do? Let it heal, wrap it something? I tried to take pics, but she didn't like me holding her up to take them, so they aren't very close, but they give an idea. Any help is appreciated. Like I said, she doesn't seemed distressed, or in pain, but I'm worried about her.

Here are the photos:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I would say to have a vet look at it. Even if it is something minor at least you would have peace of mind.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Do mean like the nail somewhat came out of the folicle? Your pictures were no longer available in the photobucket link.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok, I put some quick stop on her to stop the bleeding (it looked like it had re-opened). She seemed fine - no wheeking, not seeming to be in pain or distress at all. I set her up in her own cage so she didn't have to worry about Lizzie chasing her around. Right now she is munching on veggies and was eating hay earlier. I will watch her all tonight and tomorrow, and if I notice any changes, we're off to the vet. Right now though, she seems perfectly fine. Thanks everyone.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Oh, I must have deleted them. Here they are again. No, the nail is still intact. It just looks like a cut near the cuticle. Maybe that's why it looks more exposed?
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
The reason that I ask is if it is actually coming out of the folicle it may have to be removed so it does not snag. If it only looks a little different I would leave it, doctors can not do a whole lot to fix a nail. Only time will tell. Do not wrap it.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thanks Weaver. I have just never seen my girls bleed before so it freaked me out. Luckily, I have a neighbor who is into guinea pigs too, and she had some quick stop. We put it on Eleanor and put her back into the cage. Lizzie chased her right away (which happens all the time), but Eleanor's nail started bleeding again. We put some more on and I set Eleanor up in her own cage so she doesn't have to worry about Lizzie for the time being. Like I said, she is doing quite well - eating, drinking, and moving around just fine. I will watch the nail to make sure it is ok and watch for any signs of infection as well. I just can't think of how this happened. But, more importantly, she seems fine, and will hopefully be all healed up in a day or two. Also, how ironic that I was just asking what I should have in a medicine cabinet, and this very night, I needed something! I will be stocking up their medicine cabinet this weekend. I would hate to think if something more serious happened and I didn't have anything on hand! Thanks all.

Last edited:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You can also use cornstarch or a bit of flour if you don't have Quick Stop around.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Quick stop is great, even to have on hand in case you may trim a nail to small or whatever. Looking at the pictures though (it is hard to see for sure), it appears that the nail "looks" long, almost like a hind foot. That is her front foot, correct? She may end up having to lose that toe nail. She is fine for right now, but if the redness does not somewhat go away by morning and it continues to bleed at times you are going to want to visit a vet.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Do you use fleece or some other kind of bedding? (sorry I know I am asking so many questions)

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I just wen back and looked at the picture--of course it is a front foot look at all the toes (smack myself in the head):eek:

It really looks like she may have gotten it snagged on something. Is there anything at all in her cage that may have done that, even the snap clip thing on a back of a cuddle bed could have done that. Please just look around their cage to be sure.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok, I will double check the cage. Right now, she is in a petstore cage with a food dish, water ball, sock friend, pigloo, and hay rack. As you can imagine, there is not a lot of space for anything else, so there doesn't seem to be anything in there she could snag a nail on. In both this cage and their regular cage they have fleece bedding. I'm trying to think what she could have snagged it on, but don't see anything. Most all day today she just hung out in her pigloo. I am a little worried that Lizzie might have had something to do with this. Could she have bitten her? Lizzie has always been bossy to Eleanor, but never has she drawn blood, and I don't remember Eleanor ever shrieking as if she had been bitten. I'm just trying to think what happened so I can prevent it in the future.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I honestly do not believe it to be a bite. Most bites would be on the ears, head and body.
That is good you are using fleece, you do not want the dust from shavings in that right now possibly causing further problems. It maybe just one of those things, you know this is a time that we wish our pets could talk "and not just for veggies":) Keep us updated and hopefully it will look a lot better in the morning. That is when you will be able to tell for sure.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks everyone. I feel much better. I will let you know how she is doing tomorrow. Luckily, my boyfriend is done with class by 1, so if she needed to go in, we could get her in during the afternoon tomorrow. We will keep you updated.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok everyone. Just an update. Eleanor's nail has not bled since last night after applying the quick stop the second time. She spent the night and morning in her own cage and this afternoon moved back into her "house" with her sisters. So far everything looks good. But, when should I wash off the quick stop? Do I wash it off? It is hard for me to completely see her nail with that on there, but I don't want to wash it off and have it bleed again.

Tony's mom

Cavy Slave
This has happened to my guinea pig only on the side of his nail. It looked like he snagged it when he was out on my porch. He didn't squeal or anything and he bled a little bit. Now it is scabbed over and I put neosporin on it two to three times a day. I make sure it isn't infected. Just keep an eye on it and your pig will be okay.

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok, here's an update from the weekend. Everything here still seems fine. Eleanor is acting fine - even running mad laps this morning. The nail seems ok and seems to be healing. There is a little black thing on the side of the nail that looks like a scab. Hopefully withing the next couple days it will have fully healed over. Here are some pics from this morning. Let me know what you think.

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/EleanorsNail3.jpg
https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/EleanorsNail4.jpg
https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/EleanorsNail5.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.