Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Alternatives to Coroplast?

MOMof3Kidz

Cavy Slave
I don't have the money for the Coroplast st this time so I was wondering what are the best alternatives? Are there any?

*Karen*

aqh88

Cavy Slave
There are some permanent alternatives but they are probably not cheaper or easier to work with than coroplast. If you want something temporary I used a shower curtain underneath a blanket until I could build my coroplast box. A few people have managed to pin up the shower curtain and use bedding but the pigs may chew on any that is exposed. Permanent alternatives include using wood and covering it with laminate sheets and using vinyl flooring like you would for a kitchen. The wood though requires cutting, attaching the sides, and gluing on all the sheets. The vinyl is not as sturdy as coroplast. The sides will not stay up as well to form a box and it has to be replaced more frequently.

MOMof3Kidz

Cavy Slave
I guess I will have to wait till I can get it then! lol I will have to stick with there current cages for now. But they are happy so it's ok!

*Karen*

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Linoleum is another alternative but it can cost more than coroplast. If they are in small petstore cages, I don't really see how they could be very happy.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
What do you consider expensive?
My coroplast is probably the highest price that I've seen on here and it was a 4'X8' sheet for $35, but I didn't want to drive to a less than desirable part of town, and I wanted yellow, so I was willing to pay the money. A sheet that large though can make a tray big enough for a 2X6 cage with 6" sides. Combine that with the 28 grids that I'm going to use (my lid is made of cube grids also) and a pack of cable ties from the hardware store, and I still have a cage 2 to 3 times larger than any pet store cage for around $60-70. Many forum members found the same size sheet of coroplast for $10-20, so their cages if made the same way would be around $50.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.