Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are the hey racks safe?

• Thread starter annaamber200510
  • Start date

annaamber200510

Cavy Slave
I have a pic. right here > are they realy safe?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am pretty sure they are safe but it is much easier and cheaper to make one out of an extra grid.

I personally don't care for those rolling hay holders. I don't think they are really dangerous per se but they don't hold very much hay and some people have reported their pigs had a hard time getting the hay out of them.

I really don't like that ball thing. My piggies love to jump in the hay and really enjoy it as they eat it, with a rack like that they have such limited access. I use the bent grid, here is my Nismo enjoying his hay and jumping in the rack

Thanks but the problem is that my mom wont buy coroplax:(she sais $69 is to much mony for 6 ft of it and I do to.o_0 so I am stuck with a very small cage.*cry*

It is called coroplast not coroplax. Have you tried calling around to all the sign shops and printing shops in your area to see how much they charge? When you call tell them you want coroplast for a guinea pig cage.

I've seen 3 pigs now stuck in the rolling hay things including 1 dead. They have a hard time getting the hay and so they try to shove their body in there. 2 were smaller ones but 1 larger one managed to bent the bars and get in there.

Coroplast prices are weird. You can go to 1 store and they'll tell you $50 a sheet and go down the road a few blocks and find it for $10 a sheet. Try various sign and art stores and you should find it for cheaper. Some will also give you sheets they made mistakes on for free if you tell them what it's used for.

My piggies have one of the hay rollers and have never had any problem with it whatsoever. They love playing with it and getting the hay out. Of course, it doesn't really hold that much hay so they also have a pile of hay that they like to graze on and jump around in. I'm kinda scared now though since aqh has seen one dead in it. There is that little door thingie that I could see my boys trying to get in so I think that I'll take the time to make some safety modifications.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.