Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Noises

Mudsow

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, not necessarily new to guineas. I have a question though, is there any certain age when pigs start squeaking? This is the first time I've had "baby" pigs. Well they're about 6 months old now. And it's the first time I've had girls. But they are VERY quiet little things.

My others would scream as soon as my husband walked in the door as he's the main veggie feeder.

I just don't know if it's normal for them to be so silent. I hear them occasionally quietly grunting to each other, but certainly not the scream I'm used to.

I also had a love bird that was living right next to them that was quite a chatterbox, perhaps that scared them? She has since passed on which has allowed me to let the piggies take advantage of more room. So I've constructed one of the homemade cages. Maybe zooming around will help them to come out of their shells. They are both very timid.

We were spoiled with our last piggie, he was a sweetheart ❤️
So is it an age thing?
A boy/girl thing?
Or they just don't feel like oinking thing :unsure:

Mudsow

Maybe they are just shy. How long have you had them? One of my girls was quiet for several months but now she is the loudest one! I think they kind of have to be "trained" to wheek. Like if they hear a plastic bag, they know that means food. Pretty soon if they hear a plastic bag, they will start wheeking. I guess it is kinda of like a Pavlov's Dog type thing.

That's just my opinion, but i'm pretty new to piggles.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

My one day old babies are already making all kinds of noises! It's soo cute. :cheerful:

Yeah, our piggies wouldn't squeak for months either. They now talk quite a bit, even when we go into the kitchen to get ourselves food. They've associated a lot with veggies and wheek quite loudly. It took them awhile to trust us enough and to associate sounds with food. Just give it time.

It's a personality thing. Not an age thing or sex thing. Some piggies are just naturally quiet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.