Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cubes are seasonal items???

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Apparently that's what Walgreens believes. I'm rearranging everyone's cages, and, of course, I needed more grids. So I sent my husband to Walgreens because it's the only place in town that I've found them (we live in a small town, so that's not surprising). So Brett spent forever in the store until I finally called him to find out what was taking so long. He searched all the shelves several times until he finally got annoyed and asked about the cubes (which I know they have because they have a display of them holding tshirts). The manager told him that they're a summer item, so they won't be back for a few months. Summer item? Sunscreen is a summer item, but cubes? :confused:

So because there's no other local stores who carry cubes, I had to order them online. They should be here sometime between Thursday and next Tuesday. I only need them for the loft areas, so the cages are all fixed for the most part. I also have to wait until Thursday for the chloroplast to come in at a local sign store. One of my cages is L shaped, and both cages are larger than the ones I had before, so the chloroplast I already had wouldn't have worked even if I did fit them together because one is red and the other is green, and I don't want to look at a Christmas-colored cage all year. lol Both cages were 2x4 with 1x2 lofts. The girls now have a 2x5 (not including the upstairs) and the boys have the L shaped cage (3x4x2x2x1x2). When I get the rest of the grids in, they'll have an extra 2x2 space upstairs. The girls were going to have a 2x6, but there wasn't enough room, as part of the cage ran into the doorway. So for now, it's a matter of waiting until everything comes in.

On another note, I bought fleece last night. I'm going to try it out in the boys' cage first because those two aren't nearly as dirty as my two girls. I hope it works, because fleece is comfy, and it sure does look a lot better than kiln dried pine shavings.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I'm just excited about the new cage setup.

I think Linens N Things does that, too. They had a whole bunch in every color during the time everyone sets up their dorm, but now they haven't been there the last few times I went.

That's so crazy. What, do they think people only store things in the spring and summer?

On a side note here....
Have yo all realized that everytime we "rearrange" their CC setup, we always end up with needing more grids, but never reduce or stay the same number of grids???
I am sure that "rearranging" the CC sounds better than "expanding" the CC to other people in the house... :D
Momo

Well, I would have had enough grids, but I had to put in a "floor." Originally, the cages were built on top one another, but my husband said they were too hard to clean. Well, he asked for it. :D So a couple of nights ago, we tore down the old cages and started "rearranging." We actually had to move around everything in my home office to make it work. So the grids are set up now, but the old bases are sitting in them for now. My chloroplast guy had to order two sheets for me because he didn't have anything in stock, so they should be in Thursday or Friday at the latest. Tomorrow, I'm sending Brett to pick up cinder blocks and particle board for the cage stands. That's going to be covered by material, so no one will know what's under there unless they look. So hopefully, by Thursday night or Friday, the cages will be finished for the most part. I'll still have to add the material and the lofts, but the grids may not come in this week.

My plan was to leave the cages on the floor, but my Lab is obsessed with the pigs and sticks his head in the cage and whines forever. He should have been a female so he could have been someone's foster mommy. He's raised one of my cats, and now that the cat is over a year old, he *still* carries him around in his mouth! It's nothing to see Brown go by Charlie and walk off with him. lol He also adores Permanent, my blind piggie. For over two years, he's groomed her almost every night. I think Brown was born to be a care giver.

Here's Brown with Charlie as a kitten. He reminds me of the overgrown monster thing (a Looney Toons character) that says, "I'm gonna love you and hug you and squeeze you."

How cute!! I got my grids at a Target store.

I never knew they were seasonal. Where I get mine, they have them year round. Your new cage sounds exciting though.

Wow, the grids I ordered late Sunday night already came in early this morning. Stores must really be bent on their get-it-there-before-Christmas shipping campaign. Assuming the chloroplast is in tomorrow, the cages should be finished then. Yay! I'll finally be proud enough this time around to post pictures in the gallery. lol

Do you have a Target by you?? That is where I got mine pretty recently. They have them all year in their "organize it" home improvement section. I can't imagine having to pay shipping on those grids-they are pretty hefty!

Sadly, no. We only have a Walmart and a couple of grocery stores. I like in a *really* small town.

I'm currently fighting with the L shaped cage's chloroplast. Grrr!!

Doesn't your Walmart have grids? Ours has white, light blue & dark blue and its a very small Walmart.

Marlania said:
Sadly, no. We only have a Walmart and a couple of grocery stores. I like in a *really* small town.

Oh I consider that a big town if you have a Walmart. We only have a Pamida. I go to college in a town with about 5,000 people, half of which is the school population. I feel your pain. :) Thankfully I get to go home to a big city to buy things that are impossible to find here. Good luck with the cage!

We have 3 super Wal-Marts here in Savannah and I have yet to find cubes. It is Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or Target. Linens and Things ran out when college started back.
I adore the photo. My aunt and uncle used to raise Brittany's. their daughter had gerbils and somehow on got loose. one of the Brits found it and brought it safely to my aunt. It wasn't even wet from the dog's mouth. Good doggie!

Last edited:
Marlania said:

This is really really petty of me, and I'm not specifically picking on you Marlania because I've seen a lot of other people do this, but it's not chloroplast, it's coroplast. Chloroplast is the stuff that makes green plants green. Coroplast is corrogated plastic that you can score, bend and tape to make piggy cage bottoms out of.

Sometimes being the daughter of a teacher is a pain. I notice too much.

Carissa said:
Doesn't your Walmart have grids? Ours has white, light blue & dark blue and its a very small Walmart.

Nope, but I was able to order them online from their website. I don't understand why it's not carried here because this is the one store for university students to shop at, and I'd imagine students in dorms would use them.

Percy's Mom, I know the difference.lol It's a typo that I can't my brain to catch for some reason.

Well, I think it's safe to say that everyone loves their new cages. The only thing I have to do is sew the skirting to hide the cinder blocks, but that's not very urgent. The boys especially love their upstairs area. They had one in the old version, but they never used it much. Maybe they like the fleece better than the towels I used in the old version. I still have another bag of bedding, so I'll switch to fleece completely after I use the last bag. Hopefully the hammocks I ordered will come in soon. I guess I can give the pigs their Christmas presents (cuddle cups) as their house warming gifts. :)

That is such a cute picture. They look pretty happy with their new cage to me!:) You have very adorable pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.