Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Loss

kk524

Cavy Slave
Hi~ My baby is almost 1 year old. She's always been a chubby girl with good appetite. Just the past few days, I noticed she's pee quite a lot and she's lose a quarter of her weight in the past 3 days. Her appetite is still good as usual.., She finishes her greens and fruit as soon as I gave it to her. However, now she lie down in the resting position more than before. Does anyone have similar experience? Could anyone suggest a vet in Sydney, Australia? Thank you so much~:ashamed:

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
A quarter of her weight is a huge amount to lose - I'm suprised she is still eating.
Is she still eating hay, pellets, etc? Is her poop fully formed (e.g. not soft or runny)?
I'm in Sydney, and haven't found a good cavy vet - where abouts are you though?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Are you actually weighing her? You really should start weighing her weekly, and if you suspect an illness you must weigh her daily and track her weight loss.

If a piggy loses for than 'just a few ounces' and there are other behaviour changes, I would strongly suggest going to the vet. As I'm not in Australia I can't advise you on which vet to go to. The only thing I can suggest is ringing up all the vets in your area and asking if they see piggies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If she has lost a quarter of her weight, I would get her to a vet very soon, there is something going on. Try ringing vets in the phone book to see if any see cavies. A loss of more than 4 ounces requires a trip to the vet.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Check between her shoulder blades and see how bony they feel. If it feels different then you're used to, see a vet! But make sure it's not a vet that agrees to see a guinea pig when they have no experience with them whatsoever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.