Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Idea For A Large Cage

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. I'd like to upgrade the 2 girls into a larger cage. If I can figure out a tray for it, I'd like to use an animal playpen I already have. 44/44, not sure how many sq ft that is, but it's one large square. 24 high, even though they don't climb or need all that height. Top to keep out the cat! Half by one wire spaces. Any ideas for a tray for this thing/ I think it's a good size, but if you could tell me sq ft and also what you think for a tray/ The manufacturer doesn't offer a tray for this size. Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make it out of coroplast. That's essentially what the bottom of every C&C cage is -- a coroplast tray.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Where would i find coroplast that size/ And then how do you attach the tray to the cage? Normally I'd use those spring clip things. No I am .not the diy type as you can tell. Is there a place to custom order such a thing/ Thanks, sorry if that's a silly question.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In C&C cages, the coroplast isn't usually attached to the cage -- it just sits down inside it.

You can get corrugate plastic at home improvement stores, but they don't always carry the 4'x8' size.

There's a store locator on the Polymershapes website -- if there's a store near you, they'll have the most reasonable prices. See https://www.polymershapes.com/branch-locator/

You can get lots of ideas from the Photo Galleries on this site.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
I'll check Home Depot tomorrow. No store near me, thanks for the link, though. So you set the tray inside? okay. Will they chew the tray that way? Or do they tend to leave the plastic edges alone. I usually have used cages that sit in the tray and attach. New to corroplast.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every pig I've had has sampled the coroplast and then let it alone. But if you do have a chewer, the plastic spines of report binders will thwart them.

RufussMom

Cavy Slave

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Cool. Thanks for all the info. s my chewer. She'll try anything from veggies to your sweater! I'll definitely try and find it locally as I imagine shipping a sheet that size wouldn't work too well and it could break during shipping being that large.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also try sign places, like Fast Signs, but they tend to be REALLY expensive. If you convince them it's for a cage, and not for you to have a cheap way to make signs in competition with them, you might get the price down. Or you might ask them if they've misprinted something and would let you have it at a reduced rate.

Another option is political signs. Since we just had an election, you might find campaign offices or county parties who have old signs. You can tape them together to make the right size. Just make sure the pigs can't get to the tape -- they LOVE that stuff.

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
Sign shops can be a great source for coroplast IF you find an independent sign shop. I managed to find one near me by just Googling "sign shops near me" and the going through and emailing a bunch of the ones that came up via the contact links on their websites. A bit of copying and pasting the same email to different people found me a shop about 5 miles away that will sell me a full 4' x 8' sheet for $10.50. Definitely worth the time taken to find that out! A lot of the ones that are chains didn't even have the authority to sell me the coroplast, the ones that could couldn't sell it to me for less than Lowe's or home Depot could, but several of the single location independent shops were cheaper!

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately no sign shops near me. One in New Jersey 4 hours away has what i want; that won't work.

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
Have you tried businesses that don't overtly advertise as sign shops? (If you already have this will be totally redundant/useless info, sorry!) A lot of times fairly basic seeming print/copy shops do sign making business too .

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
No i haven't. I didn't even know that might be an option. Cool.

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
Sometimes even if they don't do any coroplast sign making themselves a small print/copy business may also willing to add a single sheet to their next supply order if they use a supplier that carries it too. I actually got a sheet through the print/copy shop on campus at my University ages ago before it was carried at Home Depot or Lowe's. Back then I used it as a base for peel and stick linoleum tiles to put on top of furniture pieces I was keeping other animal cages on to protect them and make surface cleanup easier. It's such an inexpensive, easy, impermanent way to do that, that I still use it for that too. My parents have a piece of vinyl tiled coroplast they keep at their place that fits they table they keep my parrot's cage on if they're watching him while I'm away!

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Wow! i'll try that! i'd love to keep my cat from scratching the top of my dresser when she jumps up to nap and look at herself in the mirror. She'll spend hours up there swatting at the "other" big black fuzzball it's hilarious. I'll keep trying to find it.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
That's a great price. i'm in Ny.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.