Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea pig symptoms? Help!

DoodlePawz

Cavy Gazer
I am very new to this forum, but I thought I'd join to see if I could get some help. My one piggy, Posey, has been peeing blood, not eating, and has not been drinking either. When I went down to see them this morning, there was a large blood stain and I became very alarmed. There has been no bloody urine since then. She also seems lethargic and has not tried to make it up the ramp in the cage to her favorite spot, while her cage mate is still able to. I am very very worried about her, because she is only 4.5 years old. She has exhibited some signs of aging such as decreased activity and slightly curled toes. I have not seen her squeal when she pees. I am 16 yrs old, so my parents will not let me go to the vet with her no matter how much I request :'( I have been searching up natural remedies for the past 5 hours and have been checking on her consistently. I suppose that blood in the urine means that she could have a UTI or stones? My mom went out to get cranberries as I heard that they help with UTI symptoms. When I tried to feed her cranberries, she refused while her sister has a little nibble and then became uninterested. Nonetheless, my piggies are very picky and refuse to eat any other veggies other than carrots. I always have a fresh supply of hay and good quality pellets, but it seems as if those have been left untouched too. Anyone have advice? I don't know what I possibly could do since my parents refuse to take me to the vet with her because of the $300+ expense. I hate to have all of this happen on xmas eve :'( I am just trying to keep her in a dark, quiet environment for now and just consistently check on her. I sincerely hope she will be ok.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cranberries are no help with a UTI. In humans, they may help prevent one, but they won't treat one an infection after it starts.. But pigs are herbivores, and their urine is naturally basic. Humans are carnivores, and their urine is naturally acidic. What works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

When you say large blood stain, do you mean a dark red spot, like you'd see if you cut your finger and dripped blood, or a large pinkish spot like you'd poured blood into a cup of water and then onto the bedding?

I'm sorry your parents won't let you take her to the vet. When you have a pet, its medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food, water, and housing. Your pet depends on you for everything, and it's not fair to the pet to let it suffer because no one will take it to the vet. If you are not able to earn the money yourself for vet visits, or talk your parents into taking the pig, maybe it's time to rehome them somewhere with someone who will see to their medical needs.

DoodlePawz

Cavy Gazer
Ok, good to know. It was more like a large pink stain rather than a small dark red spot. I actually asked my parents about rehoming her, but this would be a very inconvenient time and unfortunately that would not be a apossibility for us :( Right now she is just sleeping and we are going to try giving water to her through a syringe. I hope she will be ok ��

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.