Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea pig sore and black nipple

Hazel_Guineapig

Cavy Gazer
Not sure how old our guinea pig is. I only know that we have had her for a couple of months. She was well taken care of before we got her and is still happy and healthy. She has gotten use to us and I even taught her some new things. Well just a while ago, I had just got home and I took her out for some lap time. I was petting her in her fav. Places. Under the chin and down her bum when she jumped and squeaked a little. That's very unlike her. I felt around her back area until she jumped again. I don't know what it is. It could be her back leg or her butt or her nipple. I turned her over and saw that she had a black nipple. I don't usually feel or look at her nipples because she's very sensitive down there so I don't remember if that's always been there or not. I read that a black nipple is normal and all but why is she so jumpy when I touch around her leg and butt? She's never not liked me petting her around that area but she sounded like she was in pain. Any ideas on what this could be? Any way to treat or fix it? Oh and she is the only guinea pig we have.

Hazel_Guineapig

Cavy Gazer
Oh I forgot to add that she fell from my arms last week and hit her side on some wood. I figured she could have some bruising?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have mites. They can make a pig mighty touchy. Is she scratching?

Hazel_Guineapig

Cavy Gazer
She may have mites. They can make a pig mighty touchy. Is she scratching?

I was just watching her and noticed that she was chewing at her fur. I'll dust her just to be safe. What would you recommend to dust her with?

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I would recommend taking her to an exotic vet if the ivermectin treatment does not help.

Once you get everything health wise figured out I would HIGHLY recommend finding her a buddy. Guinea pigs are social animals and really do best with a cage mate! I would poke around this site to see what cages are great for guinea pigs! If you don't already have one I would get a large C&C cage. The more space the better, and guinea pigs are often more likely to become ill when they are in a small cage.

Please keep us updated on how everything goes! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask :)

Hazel_Guineapig

Cavy Gazer
I don't recommend dusting her at all. You need pour-on ivermectin. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice.

Thank you guys. I've been looking for her a companion because she looks a bit lonely it's just hard to find a good healthy guinea pig. Some look fantastic but are too expensive. We've been planning on building her a pig cage and hope to get some more piggies in the future but for now I'm gonna treat my little girl and hope she gets better. We are also afraid that if we get another piggie they might fight. Thank you for all the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.