Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Red bald patch on back!!

BuddhaClover

Cavy Slave
My 8 month old male guinea pig, Maple, has a red bald patch on his back. It's about the size of a nickel and I only just noticed it today! He doesn't seem to be in any pain. Please help, I have no clue what it may be and I don't know if it's worth a vet visit or if I can just purchase an ointment!

Attachments

20170805_110259.jpg

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I suspect it's mites. You can treat mites with Ivermectin or Revolution. Someone on here may be able to give you more info on that if they agree with my opinion.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he scratching? If so, it might be mites. But if he's not, it's not mites.

My bet is that it's fungal, maybe ringworm. Go to any pharmacy and get some Nystatin or Lotrimin. Apply it twice a day with a q-tip, and rub it in well. After a few days, compare to the picture and see if it's getting any larger. If not, keep on with the antifungal meds. And keep applying it for 7-10 days after you see the hair starting to regrow. It's hard to get rid of a fungus, so don't stop the meds too soon. Also, wash your hands carefully after handling him.

If it is getting larger after about a week, then switch to a triple antibiotic cream, any pharmacy, apply the same way.

The reason we start with fungal medication is because if it is a fungus, an antibiotic will make it worse. But if it's bacterial, the antifungal ointment won't do anything to it one way or the other.

Post back in a week or so and let us know how he's doing.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
When you touch the spot does he react?

BuddhaClover

Cavy Slave
No, he doesn't flinch or anything

BuddhaClover

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'll definitely try that and let you know what happens

BuddhaClover

Cavy Slave
Is he scratching? If so, it might be mites. But if he's not, it's not mites.

My bet is that it's fungal, maybe ringworm. Go to any pharmacy and get some Nystatin or Lotrimin. Apply it twice a day with a q-tip, and rub it in well. After a few days, compare to the picture and see if it's getting any larger. If not, keep on with the antifungal meds. And keep applying it for 7-10 days after you see the hair starting to regrow. It's hard to get rid of a fungus, so don't stop the meds too soon. Also, wash your hands carefully after handling him.

If it is getting larger after about a week, then switch to a triple antibiotic cream, any pharmacy, apply the same way.

The reason we start with fungal medication is because if it is a fungus, an antibiotic will make it worse. But if it's bacterial, the antifungal ointment won't do anything to it one way or the other.

Post back in a week or so and let us know how he's doing.

I bought Lotrimin yesterday and applied it twice yesterday and twice today. When I went to apply it the second time today I noticed it became more of a deep red in one area and sort of flaky near one edge as well. Does this mean it's getting worse? I included a picture

Attachments

20170806_190231.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd keep using it for a while. Just keep an eye on it.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Looks like ringworm to me too. Two of my girls had it back in October and it looked just like that.

BuddhaClover

Cavy Slave
I've been using the Lotrimin everyday, twice a day, and it looked like it was all healed a couple days ago (it was just bald but some hair was starting to regrow). I kept using the crram anyway just to be safe, until I saw that all his hair was back. This morning I went to put on his cream again and I noticed parts of it that were red, which I assumed was him biting at it :( just when I thought it was all better :(( does anyone know what I should do?

Attachments

20170814_081154.jpg

BuddhaClover

Cavy Slave
Just want to let everyone know that I used the ivermectin on my boy and after only a couple days, all the flaky crusty stuff was gone and his fur is starting to regrow!! I'm still keeping a close eye on him and I'll update if anything happens!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.