Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dandruff/scabbing! Mites? Fighting? (And nail clipping help?)

Twolilpigs

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I am new to the world of guinea pigs, so I need some help!
My friend's sister is going away to college and she needed to rehome her pigs, so I took them in a few weeks ago.
They are both males around a year old
I let them out and let one run around while I brushed the other. Unfortunately, I noticed that one of them had a lot of dandruff and scabbing!
The other one had no dandruff or scabbing whatsoever.
I do see them get into some scuffles, so I'm wondering if the scabs could be caused by the alpha pig?
I contacted their previous owner she said that she never brushed them or trimmed their nails and that the two do "fight sometimes"
I've gotten myself into a big mess.
Also, their nails are really overgrown!
I don't want to stress them out because they've only been with me for about two weeks but it's really a problem.
Any tips on trimming their nails?
It's weird because only one of them has overgrown nails. The other one (without skin issues) has pretty short nails.

Some pics of the skin issues (sorry for poor quality)

There are a few scabs, but this one was by far the biggest
Dandruff/scabbing! Mites? Fighting? (And nail clipping help?)
This is what came out when I combed through it
And this is what the skin looks like

Some pigs' nails grow quickly, others not so much. I have two senior sows, both at least five years old, and I only have to trim their nails about every 3-4 months. But my last senior sows required trimming at least once a month.

That scab looks like possibly a bite, unless it's in a place where he can reach to scratch it, and has scratched himself. How large a cage are they in? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression.

In that last picture, are those flakes stuck to the hair shaft? Or just loose? If they're stuck, they're undoubtedly lice nits, and he'll need treatment. If they're loose, it may be dandruff, or it may be a fungus.

If they're stuck, see https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice. If not, see https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html and get one of the shampoos listed there. Bathe him with it once a week for about three weeks, being careful to rinse him thoroughly.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Thank you SO much!!

The cage is 47 in x 25 in x 26.5 in but it has a big playpen that is open during the day for them

I took a picture in better lighting because I'm still not too sure..
It doesn't quite look like lice to me but I'm not totally sure
He does seem itchy and all the scabbing and dandruff is toward the back where he can reach.
His head and neck are free of scabs and "dandruff" (or whatever it is)
Based on the links I'm thinking it's something fungal.
He's not losing any hair though..
Should I take him to the vet first or start treatment?
Both of them will have to get treated, right?
Probably a stupid question, but if it's ringworm or something should I worry about my cat as well?

Last edited:
If it's lice nits, they'll be stuck, hard, to the hair shaft. You'll have to pinch them between your fingers and slide them off the end of the hair. If you don't have to do that, it's not nits.

I'd try one of the anti-fungal shampoos.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.