Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth Cut with blood on guinea's nose!

Margey

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,
I noticed one night that my guinea pig Nelly had a small cut on the left side of the pink part on her nose. There was a little blood on the cut too.
Do you have any ideas on how this injury came about?
-Did she get into a fight with Holly, her cage mate?
-Do l need to get her any medicine? I did give her extra red bell pepper (vit C?) in their bowl.
Thanks in advance!
-Margey

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How long ago was this?

If it's not a fresh cut, then all you can do is watch it and take her to a vet if she shows any signs of infection -- redness, swelling, pus, heat, odor.

If it's not a fresh cut and it's not infected, then there's nothing to be done.

But if you have any hideys that have only one door, or an area in the cage where one pig can trap another, those are prime places for a pig to get its nose bitten. The pig doing the trapping sticks its head inside the hidey where the trapped pig is, and gets its face slashed for its trouble. All hideys in a cage should have a minimum of two doors.

Margey

Cavy Slave
How long ago was this?

If it's not a fresh cut, then all you can do is watch it and take her to a vet if she shows any signs of infection -- redness, swelling, pus, heat, odor.

If it's not a fresh cut and it's not infected, then there's nothing to be done.

But if you have any hideys that have only one door, or an area in the cage where one pig can trap another, those are prime places for a pig to get its nose bitten. The pig doing the trapping sticks its head inside the hidey where the trapped pig is, and gets its face slashed for its trouble. All hideys in a cage should have a minimum of two doors.

Well, l just noticed it today at around 6:30. I know it wasn't there at 3:00 because l saw them at that time (doing 'cuddle time') and didn't notice any cuts. I have 2 hides the cage, both having 2+ doors. Nelly seems to be behaving normally, her usual self.
Thanks so much for the immediate response and help, l feel much better. : )
-Margey

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Since it is a fresh cut, then watch very carefully for signs of infection.

Margey

Cavy Slave
Since it is a fresh cut, then watch very carefully for signs of infection.

I checked Nelly in the morning and l think she is getting better. The cut appears smaller and there is less noticeable blood. She is acting normally, eating and pooping fine. Holly her cagemate is fine too. Should l try to take a picuture to post here of the cut?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's not necessary until you think it's getting infected.

Margey

Cavy Slave
That's not necessary until you think it's getting infected.

Sorry for checking back so late but Nelly Bear is going fine, the cut is healed and l can't see it. Thanks for your help! ~Margey

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.