Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Still scratching after revolution?

smn1311

Cavy Slave
Hi so about a month ago I took my guinea pigs to the vet because they were scratching quite a lot, and the vet tested for mites bu testing a few hairs from each guinea pig but nothing showed. She gave me revolution to treat them with anyway. She treated them there and she gave me some extra to do the treatment again on my own two weeks later. She said they may not stop scratching until about a week after the second dose but now it's been over a week and they're still scratching? Is it possible that they're just itchy really often? They've been losing hairs but it's just like normal shedding, it's not in patches and there are no bald spots except in the centre of where their rosettes are (which is normal, they're not really bald spots, it's just where the hair starts to grow, I'll see if I can attach pics anyway. But is it possible that they're just itchy quite often? They don't really have any other symptoms besides itching, they're still eating and drinking fine and their weights are fine.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
How many treatments of the Revolution did you do? I don't have experience with Revolution, but if it's like Ivermectin, generally it takes 3 treatments spaced a week apart each, because it doesn't kill the eggs. Mites often don't show up on tests that vets do, also.

It could also just be dry skin, you can feel for dry spots and if you find any you can try rubbing some coconut oil into them with a q-tip.

smn1311

Cavy Slave
I did two treatments of revolution but I think revolution is stronger than ivermectin? I think it might have been dry skin, I applied a bit of coconut oil to them yesterday and they've been scratching less already!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Sometimes it takes a course of doses before the mites are gone. Two doses might not have been enough to fully rid your pig of them. Coconut oil does well to ease dry skin but if mites are still present, the Revolution is still necessary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.