Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Questions about cage

missyannie

Cavy Slave
Getting my first two guinea pigs tonight and am setting up there cage. I have one of those large part pens fences that's big enough for me to lie down in. I planned to put plastic matt down, then absorbent layer, then fleece. Is that good as a cc alternative?

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
That sounds good.

How wide are the spacing between the bars of those pen fences? How tall are the fences?

missyannie

Cavy Slave
it's about 3 feet tall and bars are fine, not even my rats could get through them. I am so mad at myself though, my friend was kind enough to remind me that I threw my playpen away when my bunny became a free roam little dude. I totally forgot! I found one on kijiji for 25 bucks. my friend picked it up for me and it is SEVERELY rusted, great. So now soaking it in bathtub with vinegar to see if it's salvageable to spray with rustoleum, letting it cure for the appropriate amount of time of course. Right now the piggies are in the my rabbits old cage which is not as big as I'd like but will do for a temp cage. There still getting used to the environment. BUT Oliver wheeked at me while eating lettuce out of my hand :D

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
You can always clip the fleece up around the cage so it extends up high enough to cover the bars too. Just as an extra precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missyannie

Cavy Slave
Cage completed! My friend giving thor chin rubs. It's 6 feet long 2 feet long.

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Is this their permanent cage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Painted grids are not good. The pigs will chew and eat the paint.

If they're sows, you may get by with a cage in that configuration. But it's probably too narrow for boars, which are more territorial and more likely to fight.

missyannie

Cavy Slave
It isn't grids or painted, it's a steel dog pen. I sanded off any rust flakes with a drill and soaked it in vinegar, washed it off. It's still discolored so the coroplast is 1 inch all around so they cannot reach to chew any bars. I already added a level using there old cage, just making a ramp for them.
Unfortunately, my room is very narrow. I originally made it 4 feet wide but it blocked both my door and the closet and the ferret cage door. You can't tell from the angle of my picture but the cage goes right to my bed. So far they seem happy.

missyannie

Cavy Slave

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Are they boys or girls? What are their names? They are very cute!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.