Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Elevated Protein/Calcium Deposits, Vet Unsure

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

As some of you may remember, I had mentioned finding excessive amounts of calcium in my pig's urine. It turned out to be Punky who is peeing out all the extra calcium (I was finally able to watch her pee it out on a pink fleece). The vet does not seem concerned about the calcium, but does encourage me to continue working on limiting her exposure to veggies that add to this issue.

However, I had taken Punky to the vet this past week because she seemed to be losing a little weight (she was at 1080 and is usually over 1100). At the vet, she weighed in at 1111, and all he could find was a little gas and somewhat elevated proteins in the urine. He decided on a watch and wait approach and encouraged me to supplement with some powdered cosequin, which I've been giving her in a little bit of CC. Today she weighed in at 1070... is this weight fluctuation normal? All of these weights were taken at the same time during the last two weeks, and the vet seemed unconcerned and said it was a small fluctuation.

The fact that he wasn't sure what was causing the protein in her pee has me concerned... has anyone experience something similar before?

I'm sorry if this post is kind of rambly, I am just not sure if there is a problem yet or not.

First start with what are you feeding your pig

First start with what are you feeding your pig

She and her cagemate get 1/4c pellets (sps) to share daily plus unlimited timothy hay (also sps). They get 1/2 bell pepper plus red and green leaf lettuce, tomato daily and alternating cilantro, carrot, endive when available. They also get Oxbow vitamin C tablets (one each daily). Then punky gets a tbs of Oxbow CC with her medicine.

For the calcium problem, you should stop both the vitamin C and the Critical Care. CC is high in calcium, and excess vitamin C can contribute to bladder stones. If she's getting a good quality pellet, good hay, and a cup or so of fresh vegetables (which should include bell pepper), she doesn't need vitamin C supplements.

Cilantro is like romaine -- it can cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs, but not in others. When in doubt about your pig, cut it out.

Protein in the urine can because cause by everything from stress or illness to the phases of the moon. I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists over a long period of time, or there are other signs of kidney disease.

Thanks, bpatters. I just recently started giving the vitamin C at my vets recommendation-- prior I relied on pellets and bell pepper. Its hard to tell if Punky is eating enough of the veg and pellets as her cage mate is a voracious eater. Should I cease supplementing? My vet encouraged it b/c she had started getting some dandruff. Also, should I just give her cosequin in water? The CC was just so she would eat it.

If you are feeding bell pepper your guinea pig is getting vitamin C so yes I would stop supplementing vitamin C through the tablets and continue feeding the bell pepper. Also giving a guinea pig anything in water may cause them to stop drinking it. As for the dandruff Gorgeous Guineas is a uk based problem solving shampoo company that could help with the dandruff. https://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/

If she's eating a pretty good-sized chunk of pepper, I think I'd continue the C supplement for a couple of weeks and see if the dandruff clears up. If so, you might want to change the veggies she's getting to supply more of the vitamins, and stop the supplement. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks, the vitamin C is doing nothing anyway and you might as well stop.

I tend to think the cosequin doesn't do anything anyway. Why is she getting it?

If you are feeding bell pepper your guinea pig is getting vitamin C so yes I would stop supplementing vitamin C through the tablets and continue feeding the bell pepper. Also giving a guinea pig anything in water may cause them to stop drinking it. As for the dandruff Gorgeous Guineas is a uk based problem solving shampoo company that could help with the dandruff. https://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/

Scoottie, I meant in a syringe of water. I don't put anything in their water bottle. I use gorgeous guineas neem and coconut shampoo, but I think maybe she is stressed or not eating enough Vitamin C.

Bpatters, her coat already looks better from the tablets (shiny, at least, still some dandruff), so I may continue for another week or so. She is a very shy pig and doesnt seem to eat a lot of the veg so I may have to figure out a way to seperate her from Honeybun to give her a chance to eat. She usually wont eat when on my lap (she is a rescue pig so she may not have been socialized much, but we're working on that).

As for the cosequin, my vet said something about possible bladder inflammation and prescribed it. He's a good exotics vet but wasnt able to say with certainty that anything was wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.