Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps New Guinea Pigs, Adjusting To Ramp

CuteUsername

Cavy Gazer
Hi all,
Yesterday, I welcomed two pigs into my little 'zoo'. I've had piggies in the past, but it's been years. The cage I bought for them is two layers and came with a built in ramp, but they have yet to use it. They are still pretty scared, which is understandable. There is food in both layers. How do I go about getting them used to the ramp?
New Guinea Pigs, Adjusting To Ramp

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I hate to break it to you, but that cage isn't nearly large enough for one pig, much less two. Two pigs need something in excess of eight square feet, and that's the bare minimum. It's hardly enough for two sows, and isn't nearly enough for two boars.

You can make C&C (cubes & coroplast) cages for not very much money. See the Main tab at the top of this page for information, including a link on how to make them, and https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials for where to find the materials. Or, if you've got the money and would rather not make it yourself, you can order them from www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

I hate to break it to you, but that cage isn't nearly large enough for one pig, much less two. Two pigs need something in excess of eight square feet, and that's the bare minimum. It's hardly enough for two sows, and isn't nearly enough for two boars.

You can make C&C (cubes & coroplast) cages for not very much money. See the Main tab at the top of this page for information, including a link on how to make them, and https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials for where to find the materials. Or, if you've got the money and would rather not make it yourself, you can order them from www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

This is the whole cage. It is specifically made for 2 guinea pigs. The two I have are only about 5-7 months.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Someone may have thought it was made for two guinea pigs, but it's not appropriate. They need a large flat space to run around in, not a stacked cage. There's no room in that cage for them to move around much, much less run. It doesn't even come close to meeting the SPCA recommendations.

If it were me, I'd clean it up and take it back for a refund, and get a cage that's at least four feet by two feet, and larger if at all possible.

Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression, and often results in ears being eaten off, or slashes on the face when on pig traps another.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.