Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Lice and Spot on treatment

seven pig mom

Cavy Gazer
Honu one of my older girls has lice. I have researched on line and ordered Beaphar anti- parasite spot on. I read more about this product and some posts said that the dosage of Ivermectin was wrong( not strong enough) and multiple doses were needed. Would two treatments of spot on ten days apart work?

Another website said that they used olive oil and cornstarch and it killed the lice. Has anyone tried it, and dose it work?

Was also thinking of doing two spot on treatments ten days apart. Then after the second ten days give the girls a bath with lice and easy from gorgeous guineas.

My girls are a little on the small size so I don't want to over dose them. They are not scratching a lot as if its a major infestation. I wouldn't of known if I didn't happen to see one crawl around her ear.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't use olive oil and cornstarch. The pigs can ingest it, and it could possibly cause digestive problems.

You need to give ivermectin three times, a week apart. That hits all the stages of the louse life cycle.

I assume that if you doubled up on the dosage the Spot-on would work. But if you ever need it again, read this first: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites.

seven pig mom

Cavy Gazer
Thank you bpatters. I will be returning my spot on. I will be going and getting the Durvet Ivermection Pour on. Will keep everyone posted on my girls.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Do not forget to fully clean the cage every time you treat them. If you use fleece, use as hot of water as you can with some bleach and rinse a few times. And treat all of the pigs in the same cage.

seven pig mom

Cavy Gazer
Thank you lunarminx I was just going to was my fleece with vinegar but will use bleach instead. I am going to take the chloroplast out and scrub it really good once I start the treatment.

On question on dosage: I printed out the dosage chart from Guinea Lynx my pigs are in between the dosage range ( ie. 900gm - 1000gm) Honu weights 941 grams. Do I dose her at the 900 gram weight or the 1,000 gram weight? Really worried about over dosing but want it to be effective. Thank you for all your advise.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do the dosage for the 1000 grams. There's only a tiny difference in the dosage at those weights, not nearly enough to overdose them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.